What are the normal side effects of a mirena removal?

My husband and I decided it's time to have our #3. I had a mirena at the time so I had it removed a few days ago. Does anyone know what the side effects of the removal are? I don't feel normal. I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Azayleah

Asked by Azayleah at 10:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Nothing honestly, I had one...and i had it taken out within months because it gave me horrid pain along with Ovarian cysts!
    Maybe cramping happend,..with a little spotting but never did it happen to me!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• its not as bad as getting it placed i do no that. i no that i had my first period in two years when they took it out and ever since then my periods have came but abnormal. i think everyone is different.
    Anonymous

• Yesterday I started bleeding. HEAVILY!!!! Today I'm passing blood clots. I just wanted to know if this is normal. Thanks for your answers:)
    Azayleah

Answer by Azayleah at 8:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I would call your Dr. just to check it out if you don't feel right, I had the Paragard IUD cause i had heard so many bad things about the Mirena, I haven't had any side effects, the only thing is my periods aren't as heavy, some "blood clots" are normal they are just the shedding of the lining, if they are big i would be seen by a dr, if they aren't you should be okay i have always had alittle
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I only had the mirena put in in April and then had it removed at the end of May. It caused me so much pain. Now I have had 2 periods that have been very heavy. And I'm not just talking lots of bleeding I'm talking about trying to go pee and blood is pouring out of me. The first time it happend it scared me so bad I drove up to the ER. I have since then had 1 more period like that but take Naproxin to help slow the flow down. Dr. says it might just need to work itself out or I may be like this until menopause. As for trying to get pregnant, he also said that it may take longer now but it should happen. I'm not so sure as nothing is even happening right now. Since its been out I have felt nothing but weepy. I don't know how you ladies felt but I'm glad I removed that darn thing and hope that enough women research this Mirena thing before they put into their bodies!!!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have been very touchy also. It almost feels like I am pregnant. After seeing the effects of the mirena before and after. I wish I never would have had it put in. I had it for over a year, soooooo I guess it will be a while before my body returns to normal. Thanks for all the input.
    Azayleah

Answer by Azayleah at 6:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I got right off of Mirena and on to the Nuva Ring so I'm not sure about how long it takes your system to get back in tact, sorry.
    But I had mild cramping and spotting when I had it removed. Nothing major. And like you, I wish I had never gotten it in the first place. I hated it.
    corbyzmom

Answer by corbyzmom at 7:12 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I unfortunately can share a bad side effect after having my iud out. 3 ectopic surgeries and 2 lost fallopian tubes. If only I knew at 31 when I got it that I wasn't done having children. I never would have gotten the iud. i had no other risk factors... Ugh Sorry I hate the Mirena IUD! I wish you luck and hope you get the #3 you want ... Please don't use my personal story to stir you I know of many women who went on to get pregnant after removal... Good Luck.
    BigboyMom

Answer by BigboyMom at 7:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2009