start feeding baby food

i noticed that the moms i know in my area and also my friends and family started feeding their babies with the baby food at different ages.. some started at 2 months and some waited till 6 months.

just curious when did you start feeding your baby anything else but formula, breast milk or cereal? and if so what did you feed it

glossyblack

Asked by glossyblack at 10:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well im a pedi nurse.. so nothing BUT BM till 6 months of age thats when they can start it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• question.. does it affect a babies stomach in a harmful way or why is that you waited till 6 months?
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 10:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• yes their stomachs aren't fully developed yet to handle solids it also is linked to asthma and allergies later in life. but their stomachs are not ready to break down the food properly yet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• heres why not to give solids before 6 months..
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    and cereal counts as solids btw even though you said besides cereal...anything besides BM or formula is solids...even juice counts as solids to your babies tummy.
    Giving solids before 6 months raises the risk of allergies, obesity, digestive issues and nutrient absorbtion issues like anemia, its best to wait to 6 months. MANY doctors are not up to date on the recommendations because they graduated from medical school after they came out. NO recommendation changes aren't sent to the doctors they have to research them and most don't have the time or energy to
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Starting solids too young can create allergies later on and is harder on the baby because theier digestive system isnt developed to handle the solid food. Breastmilk is the best thing for them until they are at least 6 months old. 2 months is WAYYYY to early to start a baby eating food- they cant even sit up properly! There are certain milestones to look for such as loss of the tongue thrust reflex, sitting up unsupported, interest in food, etc.
    My daughter is 9 months old is still EBF, Im starting solids at her pace. Ill offer, she has no interest in them so I dont push it. SHe is completely healthy and even has little elbow dimples! (so cute!) WHen she's ready to eat, she will let me know.
    I say, just offer a piece of banana or something else fresh, mashed up and see how your LO responds. I wouldnt do the rice cereal thing. Its just used as a filler to fill thier tummies so they sleep longer and wont wake up to nurse.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 11:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I ran out of characters...
    Rice cereal doesnt have anything they need and is a hard first food for them to digest because of the complex carbohydrates. You want to give them more simple foods. Such as fruits and veggies.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 11:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• wow.. thank you for all the information. definitely helpful! did you make baby food yourself? or ot of jars?
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 12:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I make her baby food myself, its much fresher, cheaper, and tastes better.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 4:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009