Sex & Marriage Laws....

As of 2006 there were still 7 states that had laws on the books illegalizing unmarried partners from living together. In October of that year a N.C. State trooper was given an altimatum from her boss. She was told to move out, marry her live in SO, or quit her job and fact charges. That same year a woman tried to sue her ex because he gaver her aids. In VA, where they lived, it is illegal to have sex out of wedlock. The Judge through out the case because he said you can't sue for damages from an illegal act.

Here's my questions... First, do you see it as wrong to live with a man that you are not married to? Or do you feel it should be illegal to do so... Second, if you see issues with sex before marrage for religious reasons are you okay with the government making laws to dictate these things?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• its fine.

if more ppl iived together before marriage they would find out if they really are compatible
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't think the government should have any right to try to control what goes on between two consenting adults.

Personally I would not live with my SO outside of marriage, but that's my choice.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I am a Christian.

I do not have problem with people living together out-of-wedlock. I do not have a problem with people having sex out-of-wedlock.

Even if I did, I do not think my personal beliefs, in this case, should prohibit anyone else from living their lives as they want because they are not harming any body.

Archaic laws need to be done away with. I'm sure those laws are as ancient as the laws that legally ammend birth certificates to show the adoptive parents as the ones who gave birth and seal the original ones behind stone making it illegal for an adoptee to see their own biological history, their own original birth certificates or know their original names. The same laws that place automatic priori restraining orders on adoptees for crimes they haven't comitted.

Your laws don't seem to be upheld as much. But adoptee laws? You better believe I've to this day never seen my OBC because of them.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sorry, kinda off-topic but I'm irritated about it lol. I can't believe some of the IDIOTIC laws there are in this country.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Surprisingly, couple who live together before marriage have a higher divorce rate than couple who don't

Answer by rkoloms at 12:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• And I'm ashamed that I live in Virginia as that's one law I dearly would like stricken off the books!

"First, do you see it as wrong to live with a man that you are not married to?"
    Not at all. I'm not bound by the same moral compulsions that most are that are nothing more than the dregs of living in a Christian dominated society. There is no reason to keep a religiously minded law on the books. Not all beliefs regulate relationships in the same manner.

"Second, if you see issues with sex before marriage for religious reasons are you okay with the government making laws to dictate these things?"
    I hate the fact the government interferes with personal relationships to such a high degree as to make premarital sex illegal based on someone else's religious morals that are not my own. I find premarital sex a prerequisite to marriage and not something that needs to be saved for marriage.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I think that marriage laws should be voted on, and everyone should have a right to vote for their own conscience.

I think this issue is everyone's business though, these aren't just moral issues. They are social issues.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i dont think ppl should live together before marriage, but it has to do more with my education than my religion. i have a bachelor's in (essentially) Psychology & studies show that couples that co-habitate before marriage are 25% more likely to end in divorce, which gives them a 75% divorce rate overall. the theory is that when you are just living together you act more like roommates, nice & polite, but when they get married they stop acting & start being themselves. (these are psychological findings so no offense!)

i think its insane that there are states with this law! i also find it strange that a female cop was given that ultimatum, but i doubt she's the only person living w/ her partner. i feel its not the judges fault in the other case, cause even if he wanted to he couldnt do anything.

do these laws also affect homosexual relationships? or is that too hard to prove?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I didn't answer part of your question.

"First, do you see it as wrong to live with a man that you are not married to?" -- As far as my religion goes, I believe that it is a sin. As far as my opinion goes, I think it is a bad choice.

"Or do you feel it should be illegal to do so" -- I think it should be voted on and everyone should get a say. I don't believe the gov't should tell us anything but we as a people have the responsibility to determine laws.

"Second, if you see issues with sex before marrage for religious reasons are you okay with the government making laws to dictate these things?" Again, I believe that we the people should make the laws (not Obama or Pelosi). We should vote on it. And if people vote against these behaviors because they feel they are immoral or "sinful' they have the right to vote that way. You can't take away someone's vote because they are religious. But if not, then fine : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't think that anybody has the right to regulate marriage in this way. What does the officer in question's marital status have to do with her police work? Nothing. I think its ridiculous to take an able-bodied officer out of the system based on marital status.

I see nothing wrong living together and not being married. "Marriage" is a piece of paper that allows you to file taxes and recieve benefits. Thats all. A peice of paper has nothing to do with your commitment to a person. Some people are married on paper, but do not live in love. Others do not have that paper, but live in a commitment.

I do not think the government has a right to regulate when, how or who I have sex with. Thats MY personal choice. I do see the need to have a legally binding contract with an individual in order to obtain certain benefits, however. (taxes, insurance,etc) But, its not right to regulate jobs, general treatment,etc.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009