Major Temperament Change in 11 month old

I need help. I am not being naive as I know all children at 11-12 months will go through some sort of temperament change (challenging you, separation anxiety, etc.), but I feel like something else is going on with my daughter. The first 11 months, she was a happy baby, smiling any funny faces we made or loving being held and played with. In the last two weeks, closing in on her first birthday, she walks around screeching and crying at the same time, almost lost as to what she wants to do, who she wants to be with. And when we try and pick her up to console her, she pushes away likes she wants to get down and play, but the moment her feet hit the floor, she is screeching and crying. We've tried diversion, making sure both parents are with her to play everyday so she doesn't feel anxiety, but not much is working. She is otherwise healthy, sleeping and eating very well. Thoughts? Just a phase? Don't think its physical.

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 11:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went through a very similar stage with my daughter but at 8 months. She went from being happy and playful (although with a very strong temperament) to crying and screaming for literally all of her waking hours. Ths went into throwing food and biting and being overall very, very difficult. The stress this put on me as a parent was huge. I spoke to a pediatrician friend who told me this was definately just a stage and she would grow out of it. As difficult as it was to go through, 4 long months later she was through the worst and is now 2 1/2 and happy and healthy. As long as she is safe, my advice is to let her get on with the screaming and react as little as you possibly can. She WILL get over it. Good Luck and Stay Strong.
    lovemykids847

Answer by lovemykids847 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• thanks, I appreciate the response. I have held my tongue 90% of the time, and once I found myself yelling at her to stop, I know I needed to seek some help to determine if I should be reacting at all.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 11:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2009