U.K. Government Encourages Teen Masturbation?

Great Britain has long struggled with the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Western Europe. Now a local government initiative in northern England is trying a new and somewhat controversial approach to sex education -- encouraging teenagers to masturbate.

In a new National Health Service leaflet entitled "Pleasure," teenagers are encouraged to exercise their right to "an orgasm a day."

The discussion I am seeing every where with this story is "Is it moral"? Personally I see nothing wrong with Masterbation. However Many religious groups DO.

So, here is my question, would you support the government (US or local) if they decided to come out with a statement like this one, would it go against the thing you are trying to teach your children or allign with them? What are your thoughs about this in general, if nothing else?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• sure why not. its healthy, you learn your body.....cant get pregnant or std's lol
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Governments often recommend things that some people object to (like vaccination or fluoridation). Just because a minority have decided that they find something objectionable doesn't mean the government shouldn't suggest or recommend it, if it's good public policy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't be mad at the government.Masturbation is a natural thing.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I would have no problem with it at all, though I may have a heart attack from the shock of it if our government ever tried something like this. I think it's a great idea, and if it goes along with information stating that sex needs to wait but pleasure (of the self-made variety) doesn't, I think it will be very successful for the Brits. I wish them luck, and I wish that the US was that open-minded about the realities of the human body,especially during adolescence.
    FireworksMama

Answer by FireworksMama at 11:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I think better yet, how about encouraging self-control. Seems no one at all wants to have to show any kind of restraint at all in any area. As a result, we have sky rocketing, obesity, teen pregnancies, drug & alcohol use, abortions, child abuse, domestic abuse and on and on. Pathetic really that no one wants to take personal responsibility for their thoughts, actions etc.

Anonymous

• good for them.
    anon, what about masturbation is irresponsible?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• "I think better yet, how about encouraging self-control. Seems no one at all wants to have to show any kind of restraint at all in any area. As a result, we have sky rocketing, obesity, teen pregnancies, drug & alcohol use, abortions, child abuse, domestic abuse and on and on. Pathetic really that no one wants to take personal responsibility for their thoughts, actions etc."

Why is it assumed that people don't take responsibility for their actions when they do these things? Many (and I'd even dare to say most) obese people don't get that way by intentionally overeating because they don't give a crap about how they look. Most of them hate it and torture themselves daily with diets, drugs, etc that don't work because they just have a different metabolism than other people for whatever reason.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• And as for masturbation...how IS that irresponsible??? Isn't it more responsible than just having sex when you want it with whoever happens to be available?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I personally would not want our gov't to encourage my children to masturbate. It is their body and they have a right to do what they want. My only problem with it is that most people need to use pornography to get "aroused" and I believe that pornography is something that can mess up your natural affection for the person who you were created to have a healthy sexual relationship with. You can never get those ideas out of your mind. I can still see dirty pictures in my head from 15 years ago, clearly.

I want to have a clean and pure mind. I feel like seeing porn from before Christ (with one of my ex boyfriends) has had a negative affect on my life. I wish I go erase it. I think it can hurt your sex life rather than help it.

I also think it leads people to act out on it in unhealthy ways, not just masterbate. I have never heard of a molester that wasn't addicted to porn and masterbation. Not saying that all people who do
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2009