Hypnosis

We have a number of local Hypnotists that help with smoking and addiction to weightloss. I am really thinking of seeing one. I have almost 100lbs to loose, and feel as if I have tried everything. My big issue is that when I get upset, depressed, stressed or bored I eat. I don't usually even realize I'm in the fridge til my first bight... It just seems normal. So I know alot of my issue is that I need to change my thinking...

Has anyone had hypnosis done? How did it work?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• not me but i know ppl it has worked for.

because its all mental......if you can break the mental addiction...your usually good to go

and anyone that says nooooo the physical is harder...bs....i was on meth for a year, i did it habitually 5-6x a day...and i quit cold turkey one day purely on mental willpower....so it is all mental. hypnosis helps a lot of ppl with this

9before someona ccuses me...no i never did drugs around my kid. i was addicted to meth when i was a teenager
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I did it about 6 years ago and lost 40 lbs. Worked great!

This type of hypnosis is not about making people do things out of the norm. It's all about deep relaxation and possitive reinforcement. The course I did had us sitting in lazy boys and wearing goggles with pulsing lights. We went through different topics each time, like the benefits of vitamins, water, protein, etc.

Some of the stuff they repeat over and over each course, like 'appetite is of the mind, hunger is of the body' and always drink lots of water.

There were also one-on-one sessions with a hypnotist where she would ask some questions beforehand on what you are having trouble with and incorporate it into the session.

Can be pricey, but I recommend it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If you feel your overeating is subconscious, you don't need a hypnotist, you need a counselor. There are deeper issues there. And if you can't control yourself conciously, what makes you think you'll be able to subconciously/?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Answered at 12:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 by: feesharose
    If you feel your overeating is subconscious, you don't need a hypnotist, you need a counselor

Most hypnotists are counselors, and hypnosis is just one tool in their tool belt. It is all about changing your thinking, and a counselor can help you do that. Good luck with your weight loss!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My mom went to a hypnotist to quit smoking. It worked instantly. She went in with a habit she could not kick for the life of her. She walked out disgusted by the idea of a cigarette. Seriously. Every time she thought of a cigarette she would see the skull and cross bone symbol for poison. And she had no desire for them.

I would never let myself be hypnotised by anyone doing a comedy skit -- that is crazy embarassing. But I think medical hypnosis can be beneficial, when it helps you see things for what they really are (poison-- not pleasure).

Good luck Sabrina. I will be praying for you.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sorry, I am still thinking. I would encourage you to try it before you try any other medical interventions (drugs, surgery) because those can really harm your body. If you could do something more natural that would be way healthier.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Go for it, it really cant hurt, I agree with CINN, it is better to try this before surgery, because surgery is a quick fix and most will gain the weight back once they have strestched their stomached back out...I know first hand on this one. As for what a PP said, it is to help the subconscience mind, for some reason you are doing it and hypnosis will help that part of it. Most of the time it is something deeper, food is a comfort to some and it comforts the subconscience mind. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• funny story.....

back in the army they had a big event and had a hypnotist......so he hypnotied ppl on stage. he hypnotized one of my friends on stage..and this was soo wrong butin front of everyone he said "now declare a deep embarassing secret to all of your friends!!! and he told us that he was gay..............

everyone gasped...he unhpynotized him and he had no memory of it and just sat down.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We saw a hypnotist one time and he hypnotized a few of my friends as part of the show. They hypnotist told my male friend that he was pregnant. My friend Mike, was rubbing his belly and acting so sweet. Then the hypnotist told him he was in labor and the baby would come out his "man part", and my friend laid on the floor screaming in terror and pain. It sounds so cruel now, but at the time we were rolling on the floor laughing.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have seen it work, and I have seen it backfire ( she gained what she lost plus 70). Personally I wouldn't but that is me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009