So... my 9 year old son's asking me "how did the egg get inside you from dad"?

And i'm stumped on what to say! I feel funny giving him the details and feel like if I do, he'll know too much for his age. What should I say? Have you told your child and at what age? I know Oprah did a show about this I've watched it and still feel like that is too much info for a 9 year old.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 11:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would just tell him that God created the mother and father to come together in a special way to creat babies and that when he gets older he will understand better
    sassygirl1217

Answer by sassygirl1217 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• you drank a glass of eggs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My 9 year old knows the gist of how babies are made but he doesn't know specific details. And he knows how they are born, rather then thinking the stork brings them or something! It's not something he always thinks about though, he asked and got a quick answer and he was satisfied. He knows people have to have sex to have a baby but he doesn't know what the actual act is. I might have a harder time answering him when he asks specifics!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• hes not too young to know. some 9 year olds are going through puberty these days...he wants to know, dont lie to him. show him pictures. giving him the truth wont hurt him. and him asking his friends wont give him the right info. tell him your glad hes curious, to make sure he always asks you and his did when he wants to know about sex, and then give it to him straight!!! whats keeping you from telling him? honestly, what is it you think he'll do when he gets the information?@
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Whatever you do I truly feel it is in your best interest to be as open and honest with him as possible. He is coming to you because he trusts that you will talk to him about this, YOU WANT THIS! Down the road, he may not be so willing to talk to you about anything and everything. Start the conversation now, I would just tell him the basics. Woman make cells called eggs in their body, and men have cells called sperm that when they combine, they make a baby. Let him lead the conversation, he is asking you because he wants to know.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• He is not dumb and do not lie. Give him a simple short honest answer then expplain he will learn more as he gets older.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I told my sister that when people want to have a baby they go to the doctor and get baby seeds. The mom eats the baby seed and a baby grows in her belly, like a plant grows from a seed. When the baby gets big enough the mom poops it out. AND THAT'S WHERE BABIES COME FROM. It's kind of realistic.... almost like the real thing. She asked when she was 5 and my mom didn't know what to say so I came up with baby seeds.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• 9 years old is old enough to know the truth. He just doesn't need to know details, but it is time he knows the very basics of sex. If you do not teach him, he will learn it from his classmates this next school year.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2009