Is this just a phase?

My son is 6 months old. He was sleeping 8-10 hours at night and now for the past 3 nights he wakes up around3-4 for a feeding? I try to do everything else b4 offering a bottle but he doesn't want anything else. I really hope this is just a phase but its just weird to me that he was sleeping through the night and now he's not? He gets cereal and a bottle before bed too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He may be going through a growth spurt! If so, it should end soon. Is he getting enough to eat before bed. With my 1st and 3rd they started getting up more and I realized they were hungry. I offered solids at dinner time until they wouldn't eat any more. They both have HUGE appetites and eat as much as me (and they are skinny kids! My in laws tell me my hubby was the same way). Anyway, I keep feeding them until they don't want more. Also, at bedtime maybe offer a second bottle. Both my 1st and 3rd (well all) were breastfed. But those two started taking a bottle at bedtime after nursing and emptying me!! The only other suggestion I have is let someone else go in at night to cuddle and lay him back down. My second born was getting up at night and wasn't really hungry but nursed because he knew I had it. When my hubby got up with him, he quit getting up at night since daddy couldn't give him anything! LOL!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sleep comes and goes for years. You were lucky that he was sleeping so well. Now, something is disrupting his sleep. It could be a growth spurt and he actually needs the food. It could be teething, a cold, mastering some new milestone like crawling - there's no real way to tell. But remember that this will happen many times in the coming years. He'll sleep well for months and then wake at night for some reason. As an older mom I know put it - eventually he'll grow up, move out, and he won't wake you anymore.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sleeping patterns ghange many times in the first few years. Six months is time for another growth spurt so waking at night is to be expected.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009