What are some things I can do to prepare my daughter for Kindergarten this year?

My daughter is starting school this August, and I'm just wondering what are some things that I can prepare her for when she is in class. I'm so excited and nervous for her all at the same time, so I would like to know what other moms have done and how other moms feel about their little one going to school this year. Thanks ladies!!!

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is starting school as well. I feel the same way excited, nervous, and a little sad....lol.
    i bought her these flash cards that help with adding and subtracting. They have numbers and animals for the numbers ,,,,like if the number 4 , theres 4 cats on it.ect. SO you line them up in a row of three and its say....4+4=8. She loves them and is doing very well. Its also helping her reconize the numbers. We also are practicing counting objects, i'm trying to get her to count to 20. She can count to ten right now. We are having all kinds of chats on how school will be, she can't wait. I could wait another year though!!! LOL
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The big things are knowing how to behave in a classroom:
    How to remember and follow the rules at some place other than home.
    How to listen to and obey the teacher.
    How to take turns with several other kids.
    How to sit quietly for storytime and not interrupt the teacher or rush up to point out something in the book.

If she hasn't has any preschool, consider putting her in a little sports class for the rest of summer. A class where she has to listen to the teacher, follow the rules, and take turns with the other kids.
    And see if sitting is a problem, see if your local library has storytime. Explain the rules before you go, enforce them while there, and talk about how kindergarten will have storytime too, with similar rules.

For academic things, your school should provide a list of what they expect incoming kindergarteners to know. Just review those things in fun ways, making up silly games to keep it fun.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Oh this is very good to know. She does well with listening and sitting quietly when told to. She has her counting down pretty good. Though those flash cards for the adding and subtracting sound like a good thing to do now, well at least get her to practice with. I know I'm so nervous about how she will do and then excited because its a new chapter in her life.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my son is going into first grade. in K. they need to know there phone #, and full address. To help my children on learning there phone # i used a calulater.. hope this helps,... he learnd alot that i never even knew they did in -K- ... also try to help teach her how to wright first and last name.. there might be more then one name in class hope this help, i could go on for ever on what my son did.... he was doing first grade math by the end of year.. good luck.. Oh yes some -K- still take naps..
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 4:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Prepare her for leaving you.  Read books and talk about it so she knows what to expect.  See some pre-school, kindergarten books  under the School, Starting, Afraid http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 5:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Take her to the school now and then one week before school starts and show her the few things she'll need to know about (cafeteria, the kindergarten classrooms,etc.) Just stop at the office and ask them if it's okay (they usually don't have a problem with it.) It will help familiarize her with the school so it's not so overwhelming that first day.

Take her shopping - new underwear with cute characters that she picks out, a new shirt and/or outfit for the big day, new socks and shoes, and of course a backpack and/or lunch box. Tell her when you buy them they will be for when she goes to school. A week before school starts reminding her she'll be getting to use all that stuff when she starts school in a week. Remind her every day so by the time the first day comes she's all excited.
    Anonymous

• Academically, if you can get a list of the sight words, if she knows her letters, then put a new word on the fridge every day and spell it to her and ask her to spell it throughout the day so she learns sight words. It will help TREMENDOUSLY.
    Anonymous

• I teach K so some of the things I would suggest is practicing sitting and listening to a story, raising her hand and waiting to be called on, writing her name, recognizing numbers, shapes, letters, counting, you can go online and get the Dolch word lists, start with the pre-primer words. To get excited about shcool there are lots of great back to school books, I love The Kissing Hand, Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten, The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (there is is a whole series of these books about the different people that work in the school) and most of the kids fave characters also have going to school books. Go shopping for her bookbag and a 1st day of school outfit. I hope she has a great year!
    garynjakesmom

Answer by garynjakesmom at 2:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2009