WIll you buy your teen/s a car?

I have been thinking about this for the past few days. I should open a saving account for my girls and start saving up some money..They could either share the car or just get one for each..I havent decided on that part(they pretty much share the same birthday lol)
I could just open the savings now and by the time they are 16-17 they will have some money(I gotta do something lol college is already paid for)
This would be years from now..But i should start saving huh lol...

ryanlynn

Asked by ryanlynn at 11:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm planning on helping with one car for both my girls two share. They can get a job to help pay for it and the insurance.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• wow, nope..i think i may have my kids save up, and possibly match what they save. i dont know, my kids gotta learn responsiblity. you covered college, so i guess thats up to you!! my SO and i presonally decided if our son is doing really well in school and is on track with everything, and has a job we'll do what we can, but buying a brand new car.. NOPE!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i would be willing to match whatever they save. and then pay half their insurance. they need to pay for part of the costs.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Im planing on it.but I think i would only buy my child a car if i feel like i can trust them and I want to make him learn responsibility so I would have him/her get a job and help pay the note.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• we plan on matching them in whatever they can save up. they must also have taken driving lessons, and have a job to pay for gas & insurance. also be attending school on a regualr basis and getting decent grades.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• No. I never had a car as a teen and neither did my brother. I never drove (had my license but no where to go) but my brother learned to share with my parents and we only had 1 car. My kids can do the same. Better to put the money aside for college then for a car. My brother actually wrecked my parents car 3 times in the 3 years he drove it. Cost them a pretty penny.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• This is years and years away but when the time comes I think I'd at least help him out. I don't want him to have everything just handed to him like I did. I want him to learn to have better respect for the things he has and I think if he learns to invest his own money it will make him learn to take good care of his things. But most teens who have a job need a car to get there, and I don't expect him to all of a sudden afford a car on a part time minimum wage job, so yes I'd be there to help him.
    Anonymous

• justanotherjen College is already taken care of lol...

My thinking is" I want them to have what I didn't"
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Um. NO! My mom and dad have never given me anything and I respect everything I have because I got it for myself. My sisters were given everything and they didn't respect it. I had to pay for college; mom and dad paid for theirs, I graduated they dropped out. I will not pay my kids' way, I might helped them along the way but, it will not finance it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Yes. My dad let me have a car from the time I was 16 until I moved out at 18, and he sold it. I was young and broke and ended up buying myself a POS car for $600 that left me stranded on the highway in the middle of nowhere, on the way home from school. I don't want that happening to my kids just because they can't afford a car. I will get them something safe and practical.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009