being bullied by my 10 mo old son.. what do i do?

i swear hes an angel! to everyone else but me. :/... is it just a phase? im sure tantrums are going to get worse. but i didnt think i would need to worry this early. is it cause im the one hes always with? or the only one who tells him no or taps his butt or hand when hes "bad". it makes me very upset. to the point im just so frusterated. he bites me when i say no, he scratches me and pulls my hair, even screams and stomps his feet.. and i mean hes a big boy in all, wonderful happy guy! but hes so different with daddy or ppl around. i swear somtimes if he could talk to me, i wonder how mean he thinks i am. hes so mean to me. how do i punish him or make him know this is not nice? telling him bad and saying no isnt an option no more. i just cant take this. and to top it, these tantrums only began once i weened him from the boobie. which went surprisingly well. he didnt complain one bit about not getting it... anyone? :(

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 11:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be firm! Don't let anyone else spoil him and give Daddy a chance to tell him no every once in awhile. It's not fair that you always have to be the "bad guy." Make sure everyone he comes into contact in knows your rules, and also let them know that you're having trouble with disciplining and you think it's because he thinks he can get away with whatever from everyone else. Make sure everyone is on the same page.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'd say, if you believe in it, spanking time. Sounds like you are gonna have a hand full!
    Anonymous

• First, when a kid acts rotten to a parent it's actually a sign of love and trust. He knows he can test the rules and boundaries with you, that you won't harm him if he goes too far. He loves you so he acts horrible. Sad but true. Try to remember that he loves and trusts you far more than all the other adults in his life.

What to do?
    When he bites, scratches, pulls your hair - stay as calm as possible. Even a yelp of pain is a funny reaction to him and rewards the behavior. Then set him on the floor, firmly say NO BITING!, turn around and walk away. Deprive him of your company and attention for a minute or two. He won't like it. Your attention is his favorite thing. It will take awhile - possibly even months - but the more consitent you are, the quicker he will learn.
    And it doesn't matter what method you use - just pick one and stick to it. Consistency is key for now and years to come.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• A 10 month old cannot possibly comprehend that he is being defiant, so spanking is not the answer. He will see that as an attack, not discipline.

What kaycee said is right. Just as soon as he bites, put him down, in a playpen or safe place and walk away for a couple minutes. Then come back and pick him up and play, if he does it again, repeat the process, he will get it. Accompany that with "No biting" or hitting, or kicking, or whatever.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Never spank a 10 month old. That's just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• well as for a source of time out. i have no where *idle* i can put him. hes so big hes actually begun shaking the playpen and tipping it over to get out
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 4:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• OP--It's not finding a time out place. It is simply removing yourself from hiting and biting distance. A 10 month old doesn't comprehend time-out, just the idea that mommy isn't close by is enough. You can probably walk faster than he can crawl and if necessary put a baby gate between you two.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009