Fired for being pregnant?

I started a job yesterday and that is when the employer found out I was pregnant. I worked through the day just fine and came in this morning when he sat me down and said he now had to hire someone who was not pregnant... I got a check for yesterday. I know this isn't legal, I obviously don't want to work for him after this but what can I do?

No bashing i'm already balling.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?!?! do some research and see who you can call to report him and that business! thats some B.F.S!!!! thats another form of racist. girl Im going to look it up for you. that makes me so mad...
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Call a lawyer ASAP it's not legal at all.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The thing that sucks is that if you get your job back by taking legal action, you'll be miserable the whole time. Try calling HR. Especially if he told you that he's firing you because you're pregnant! He could get into some trouble and maybe transferred somewhere else. It's completely illegal and he should know that.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• you need to contact a lawyer, or legal aid. that is VERY ILLEGAL and he needs to make it right.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• He's the owner of the company and has only a handful of employees in the warehouse, no HR department. No I don't want the job back it would be too painful...
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Thanks, I'm definitely going to look at my options but this just happened and i'm a wreck right now.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I would call an attorney. I'm sorry that you were treated this way!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 12:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• call a lawyer that is so illegal it isnt funny
    you can sue him and his company for a hell of alot
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• hopefully he cant come up with any other reason why he let you go, because you cant really prove this right now...you have rights, but if you came in on time, and left when you were supposed to contact a lawyer. you ahve rights..and you were def. discriminated against!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• yep, illegal. Report him to the Federal Wage and Hour Board.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009