my 18 month old son has been waking up since ~ 12/13months in middle of the night for various reasons - need help???

Okay I have an 11 yr old daughter and 5 yr old son. I have worked in medical field and been around babies/kids my entire life. Just turned 30 and now i can't even sleep through the night.

He wakes up for water sometimes but goes back to sleep. Other times he screams and he won't stop, I change his diaper make sure no redness, he isn't teething molars are in. No fever and no visable symptoms.

He isn't having night terrors either, been there done that already 11 - 15 months.

Thanks.

angie2568

Asked by angie2568 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is 15 mo. old and has been doing the same thing since about 11 mo. (always a solid sleeper before that). I don't seem to do her any good when I go in there...there isn't really anything she wants. I think she is just having vivid dreams, etc. I let her pick out a stuffed toy (soft lion fellow that sings) and she gets to sleep with him now. For some reason, it seems to have helped. Maybe she just doesn't feel so alone anymore. She still wakes up but is always back to sleep within a few minutes without any intervention from me.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I always said "people who let their kids sleep woth them are crazy" but guess where my son sleeps, in bed with me. around 10 months he started this waking up in the middle of the night crying, and we would rock and change diapers...none of this seemed to be the problem. Well,, this went on about 2 months until i gave up. I wake up for work very early and go to bed late, i DO not have time to spen 2 hours awake entertaining my baby. I put him in bed with us and now we all sleep sound. I will deal with getting him in his own bed when the time comes, but for now this works for us! Good luck, i know how frustrating it can be.
    SarahMichel

Answer by SarahMichel at 3:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my daughter went through that faze, (while some people may disagree with me) i just ignored her, its dark in her room and she has her "baby" ( a glow worn that sings and lights up, or you can have it so it just lights up). I know that she is safe and i know she can't hurt herself so i ignore her. If i know i have to get up a 3 in the morning for work and i worry about her waking up at 2 and crying, i will turn on a fan to block her out. I hope i don't sound terrible. . . but thats just what i do, i used the "cry it out method" so even though if i hear her crying i want to cry and run and get her i have "trained" myself not to.
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 12:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2009