would you take care of your niece and nephew?

I saw a advice column letter a while back. The sister had gone into remission with her cancer and her husband was taking her on a trip. The letter was full of how inconvenient it was going to be to take care of her kids. That the sister made it clear she didn't have a choice, and how the niece cried the whole time her mother was away last time. And that the nephew had a mouth on him she didn't want her kids exposed to- and that be broke things.

My mouth dropped open.

Life isn't convenient. If the nephew is behaving like that, he's probably reacting to something and is having problems. I know people have to decide what they can handle, if they had another child that behaved like that, it would seem that they would work with it.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I can't imagine shutting the door on my nieces because it could be inconvenient or hard. You'd have to fight me off with a stick!
Tell me what you think

LadyAronna

Asked by LadyAronna at 12:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes no matter what I would take my neice and nephew...

and that is all I have is a neice and nephew...

I would never allow them to fall into the system...

I would find a way.....
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'd take them while their mother was gone, but it would be my rules. The boy wants to break toys, then he doesnt get to play with them anymore. And I'd try to find ways to occupy the girl. She misses her mom. Cant blame her.
    Anonymous

• WOW, that is sooooo ingnorant. I would do that for my sister with out a second thought. She should be happy her sister's in remission, i just can't believe how selfish some people can be.!!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It sounds like the person was a little self centered to me. I would take them and I would be worried about their behaviors. Which would lead me to trying to figure out what they really need while at my house.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 12:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I would take them. I also think it's nice to have a place to vent. I would feel cranky about it, and probably whine a little, but still deal with it. Sometimes being a little immature helps get it out of your system and you can realize it's not so bad.
    cocoamug

Answer by cocoamug at 12:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I read that same letter! It was in a Dear Abby column that I get in my email. The sister seemed like she had a lot of attitude about "well I am in remission with cancer so you HAVE to do it for me" and that would have put me off honestly. I'd have been a bit upset bc it was just "expected" of me, and I was not asked, but demanded of it. Especially if I'd been helping the whole time. Also, if the kids are unhappy and upset, then leaving them with someone they are not comfortable with may not be in their best interest. All in all, I'd say it was the attitude that was off-putting. I wouldn't mind watching my niece and nephew at all under those circumstances, but I would look for a solution that might make them a bit more comfortable if I thought it was going to be more traumatic for them. No sense in putting them through more changes and creating more problems than necessary.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• "The sister seemed like she had a lot of attitude about "well I am in remission with cancer so you HAVE to do it for me" and that would have put me off honestly. I'd have been a bit upset bc it was just "expected" of me, and I was not asked, but demanded of it. Especially if I'd been helping the whole time. Also, if the kids are unhappy and upset, then leaving them with someone they are not comfortable with may not be in their best interest. All in all, I'd say it was the attitude that was off-putting. I wouldn't mind watching my niece and nephew at all under those circumstances, but I would look for a solution that might make them a bit more comfortable if I thought it was going to be more traumatic for them.."

Don't get me wrong,I would be put off too- but it sounded like mom was going to go no matter what, so if she did I would be there- I'd want to make sure the kids were OK. But I'd have a talk with sis later.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 1:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Without a second thought, not matter how 'hard' it was or 'inconvenient'! If they are acting out, it might be cause they miss their mother and know she might not recover!! Wow, that is selfish thinking!!
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 7:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2009