A little help?!?

I have a 2 yr old daughter and my son is 14 months. My daughter tries to spank, slap and she will get up in her brithers face and scream at him if he is doing something the does not like. Am i the only one with this problem. I try to tell her we do not have to yell to get our oint across. SHe has even went as far as to raising her hand to me. I know it wouldnt hurt but the fact she tryed it. WHen she is around other kids shes an angel. I just dont underdtand.

monkybugmomma22

Asked by monkybugmomma22 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try time outs, make sure shes not around anyone or anything, make her face the wall and set a timer right next to her, when her time-out is up ask her what she did wrong and help her to show you or tell you what she did wrong and tell her don't do it again. Also try to teach her to come tell you when her brother is doing something wrong instead of her trying to punish him herself. It takes time but it works if you keep at it. And with time-outs don't yell at her if she gets out just pick her up and take her right back to time-out without saying anything. My son was the same way and now when he does something wrong I just give him that look and he walks his butt to time-out and I start the timer. He's a little over 2 with a 1 year old sister. Trust me keep at it and she'll learn!!
    Anonymous

• Your daughter is only two. This is when time outs are essential. Have one spot in the house for timeouts and when she does something wrong put her in time out for 2 minutes. So when she goes to hit her brother, she goes to time out. It will take a while but she will learn.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• its simple she has found out she can dominate her brother...my dd does the samething to my ss he 2 and she pushes him around but we keep her incheck when she gets mean she tried the same thing with my nephew b/c he handicapped but one day he put her in her place and she has stopped it...id watch her so she doesnt hurt him but ur going to have this with mulitiple kids...i did the samething with my lil brother but he eventually got bigger then me...lol ur little guy will get big enogh to put her in her placeon day just now keep him safe and set bounderies for ur dd
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My two year old daughter is constantly hitting or trying to hit her 11 month old brother. I started putting her in time out for 5 minutes. I set an egg timer for 5 and then leave the room. When it goes off I immediately go in and take her out of time out. It has worked well. It is hard at the age of 2 to fully understand what this new sibling truly is but I am so happy that they are close in age for they will be extremely close as they grow up...it's worth a few time outs.

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 2:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Monkey see monkey do?
    Anonymous

• My son is an only child and doesnt go to daycare, so I too am dealing with a child who thinks HE IS THE BOSS. He doesnt share very well and he hits....(he is only 16 months though and I hope that he grows out of this.)
    SarahMichel

Answer by SarahMichel at 3:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• In response to "Monkey see monkey do" .........that is not always the case. no one is loud or agresive in my home yet my son tends to be. Some things are instinctual!!!!!
    SarahMichel

Answer by SarahMichel at 3:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2009