If someone was watching your toddler...

... would you care if:

she had the news on in the morning, fed your child small amounts of sugary cereal (on rare occasion) and had the TV on kids shows for a short period of time?

I am watching a little boy for the next month (not a daycare, just babysitting) and I want to make sure I'm ok. He comes at 7 in the morning, so I normally have the news on for an hour in the morning, he doesn't pay any attention, just runs around playing. This morning (first time I'm watching him) he wanted my daughter's cereal. Normally, she eats cheerios, but we're all out and so she was eating my hubby's frosted flakes (tomorrow I'm buying more cheerios when we get paid), I let him have a small amount. Also, my daughter LOVES TV, so I normally let her watch for an hour or so, she plays while it's on, he does too.

Would these things bother you, or are these normal things that would happen in your own home? I'll ask his dad too, of course.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is with his father now, these decisions are his father's to make. When he is with his mother, then those decisions will be his mother's to make. You are simply doing right by the one parent you have contact with. You cannot expect to please a woman that you have never met and know nothing about. Obviously, Dad is competent enough to have this child for a month at a time, so he must be doing something right. I think you should talk to the father, outline things with him, and then follow his rules.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The tv might bother me. But if you talked to me about it before hand, I would most likely be ok! As long as I knew what shows and how long.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Note: most of the day we will be playing together, or at the park, or going to the zoo, etc. This is just the early morning.
    Anonymous

• I think this is fine. I usually have the tv on all day long but son plays all day. He may sit for like five minutes and watch but then he gets right back down and plays.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't mind... I put on cartoons for my son, but never is he glued to it... I wouldn't care about the sugary cereal either. If you had my son for hours and that's all he ate, then I'd be a little upset.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 12:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• They sound normal to me, if I didn't want my child to eat a certain thing then I would make sure to bring his own food. My children watch TV and play, my kids also eat my special K cereal and I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't be mad unless your stuffing their face with candy all day but other than that it sounds like your doing a good job.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 12:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• except the frosted flakes it does sound like a normal day at my house. most people wouldnt mind the sugary cereal, i am just really picky about food. if you let the kids watch the right shows tv can be very educational.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I think it would depend on the parent. The cereal I wouldn't mind but I have a strict NO TV rule before 3 yrs. I have the tv on for my shows sometimes but that's about it. Usually I don't even turn it on until naptime. The woman I babysit for doesn't mind either of those things; those are just my personal rules and she doesn't have a problem with it. I used to babysit for a little boy who's mom let him watch tv all the time, but would flip if she caught him with sugar! When I watched him I made sure he had plenty of healthy snacks, etc. Its each parent's preference. Whenever I babysit I try to follow the same rules the parent's are comfortable with, so that the child is most comfortable. Good luck :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• As long as you don't beat my child and I get her back in one piece....we're good.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Of course those things wouldn't bother me,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009