bfing and teeth

I usually nurse my 10 month old to sleep, he recently got his first teeth and he's working on 3 more. Anyways, I know that it's not good to formula feed babies to sleep because of the sugars, but does that apply to bfing. And should I brush his teeth after I feed him, and then how do I get him to sleep after that, he refuses to take his binkey right now. oh and also, when did you start using baby toothpaste and not just water? sorry I know it's a lot of questions.

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started baby toothpaste at about 6 months. And I did brucsh his teeth after he breastfed because I figured it was still milk....But I never had to "feed" my kids to sleep, I guess I don't know what you mean by that sorry...
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• No it isn't the same for breastmilk. You can still nurse your little one to sleep.

And you can get this baby bear toothpaste, not sure what company, but it has a pic of baby bear on it. I started using that as soon as they had teeth to brush. No flouride, so it's safe for them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Breastmilk does NOT lead to tooth decay! It actually PROTECTS the teeth. It has antibacterial properties in it that kill the bacteria in the mouth. You do not need to brush the teeth after nursing. My baby is 18 months and I do not use any tooth paste for him. I just give him the tooth brush and he goes to town with it. He loves to brush his teeth and asks for it many times a day. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009