How do you teach your lo?

How do you teach your lo not to gag themselves with a baby spoon or toothbrush?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine only did it a couple of times before they realized it doesn't feel good.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Spank them and tell them "NO" that works, and I give her a sippy afterwards maybe to help with her throat problem. My DD did it so many times she was making her self throw up so we would spank her and giving her her sippy she would forget what she was doing. Try this.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 12:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Natural consequences will teach them. DO NOT SPANK THEM FOR THIS. They cannot comprehend it as anything but a physical attack. The gagging is enough punishment, you don't need to add to that.

Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We sit him down and work with him showing him the right way to use the product. Show him the correct way to hold it and move it to his mouth. I see no reason to punish when it's something new they are learning.
    Anonymous

• Spanking a child for learning is absurd. And I believe in spanking as a punishment - but a child isn't doing anything WRONG by learning!

For us, we just let Kaylee gag herself. After she does it a couple of times she figures it out and stops. And if not, then I take the spoon/fork away from her, give her a bite to show her how far the spoon/fork needs to go in, and then I give it back to her.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• They figure it out on their own, if there is not a medical/neurological problem associated with the gagging.

If there is a medical/neurological problem, then intervention is usually the best.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• haha good luck! Don't react to it. ANy reaction is more likily to encourage them to do it. My daughter did this for a while and then just as quickly as she started, she stopped. It was fingers spoons, toys. It's a new feeling for them and they like to explore. And she though it was funny when I jumped at the sound or said no or anything so keep doing it. Ignoring it works best.
    Anonymous

• confusedYour letting your under one year old child play with a spoon or a toothbrush? I brushed their teeth myself at that age and they hand fed themselves at about 9 or 10 months. No advice sorry.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009