What does the word "hippie" mean to you?

What comes to mind when you think of a hippie? Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be a hippie?

jellyphish

Asked by jellyphish at 12:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When I think of a hippie, I get images of flower power, tie-dye, the musical/movie Hair, lots of fringe and vests and peace signs and pot and long hair and 'fros and music and Woodstock. Lots of love and harmony and Age of Aquarius and so on and so forth.

I soooooooooooo would have been a major hippie had I lived in that time.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Dirty tree huggin freaks!

Just kidding. :D I think off the 60s. And Birkenstocks. And lots and lots of pot and LSD. And shrooms.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well I'm talking about modern hippies.... I think of people that still believe in peace, people that care about their environment, people that are open minded and willing to try new things as long as its not hurting others. People that don't necessarily care about social norms, and will fight for what they believe in. I think hippies are GREAT and I kind of consider myself one.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

•  I was (and still am) a hippie and we had all the music and drugs yes but being a hippie was so much more than that.. We truly felt the Love of one another and tried to let others know that it Could be done. We Could ALL get along whether black or white or Asian or any other color or religion. It might sound silly now, but why not PEACE AND LOVE? To "expand" our minds was ,yes for fun but also to find the answers to all the problems of our planet. I'm not explaining this very well I know but let me say this...I was blessed to be alive and a part of  that wonderful time.I'm 63yrs old and I still smoke weed and I am for the Legalisation of  Marijuana. And oh yea, I also dug the open sex parties.

Anonymous

• Long hair and smokin' pot!
    Anonymous

• I think of a chick (or a guy for that matter) with long blonde hair, a pochahontas head band, round lens shades, a tye-dye t-shirt, and courderoy bellbottom pants throwing up the peace sign with a joint in the other hand riding a beach cruiser LOL!! sounds 70's but there's still plenty hanging around in san fransisco....

Anonymous

• Me too pinkgemini and anon :23.....me Too!
    Anonymous

• I think of a person who lives a life where its okay to have material possessions but does not need them. Someone who is happy and someone who does for other people shares and lives their life and shares with others. Someone who like themselves and is not ashamed to be a part of the working class if it can help them help others.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree with pinkgemini. She took the words right out of my mouth. :)
    brwmommy

Answer by brwmommy at 9:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I noticed the past couple of years folks refering to themselves as hippies, and the things they say they are into makes me fit that catagory but I dont think of myself as a hippy because I conjure up the 60s. I conjure up, lots of pot, and homeless lifestyle, lots of hair, and flowy clothing and lovemaking and love swapping. LOL, my dh wasn't this extreme but when he was in college he was a hippy art major and didn't wear shoes for years. Later he became a tenured professor at a college. I prefer not to catagorize myself, but the modernday gals that call them selves hippies tend to be my friends and we tend to have a lot in common. Except I dont call myself a hippy.LOL can't because I know too many actual hippies from the sixties.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 2:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2009