Organ Donation

Does the Bible say anything that would pertain to being, or NOT being, an organ donor? Are you an organ donor? What denomination or belief system do you follow? Did that impact your decision to be or not to be an organ donor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know whether the bible addresses the issue. I am an organ donor, and I'm a Catholic Christian. My faith did not impact my decision, at least not on a conscious level.  I just checked the Catechsim of the Catholic Church to see if the Church has an official stance, and this is what I found (article #2296):

Organ transplants are in conformity with the moral law if the physical and psychological dangers and risks to the donor are proportionate to the good that is sought for the recipient. Organ donation after death is a noble and meritorous act and is to be encouraged as an expression of generous solidarity. It is not morally acceptable if the donor or his proxy has not given explicit consent. Moreover, it is not morally admissible directly to bring about the disabling mutilation or death of a human being, even in order to delay the death of other persons.

LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 3:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I am an organ donor. I'm a Christian Universalist. I don't think it really impacted my decision, I just feel that I won't need them when I'm done with them, so why not leave them to someone who does?
    Seems kind of wrong to bury/burn/etc perfectly good organs that people are dying from need of.
    But that's just me.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• And to add - it kind of makes one think that something good can come of one's death, that one's death could ensure a life somehow - kind of gives it (death) more of a significance, IMO...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well, I'm agnostic, so perhaps I don't count, but I'm an organ donor, and I think it's the only right thing to do. My mother is VERY Lutheran. She is also an organ donor. Her feelings are very much like bandgeek521's- if I can't use them any more, maybe someone else can.

Personally, I don't think there could ever be anything immoral about saving a life when you die.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm an atheist, and I'm an organ donor. I would donate my entire body to science if my husband would let me. The way I figure it, after I'm dead, I'm not going to be needing any of the parts anymore, so why not give them to someone who could get some more use out of them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Atheist and an organ donor. I've also tried donating blood but they won't allow me because my blood pressure is too low.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I am a donor, Catholic and it had no bearing. This is a deeply personal decision.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well since we do not need our body when we go to heaven I see no christian reason for NOT donating if you can. I truly believe God masterminded those abilities for that reason.
    singedwingangel

Answer by singedwingangel at 1:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Kristi, they wont let me donate blood because I don't weigh enough. Otherwise I would be down there as often as they allow you to donate. My atheist father, has donated well over 30 gallons throughout the course of his life.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm an organ donor and am Christian. Don't think that had any bearing on my decision. I just feel it's the right thing to do. If I can give someone the ability of sight or the ability to breathe without machines, then why not? I'll have no use for my body when I leave this life.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2009