Chicken Pox

I have a 7 year old that I would rather not vaccinate for the Chicken Pox. The vaccine has not been proven to be effective in immunity for life like if the child were to get the Chicken Pox. I live in St. Cloud, MN and wonder if any other moms feel the same way. If so, do any of your children have the Chicken Pox currently? I would love to expose my child so she can get them and be immune indefinitely versus giving her an unnecessary vaccine that can cause her harm in the long run. The vaccine has not been out long enough to prove immunity for life and I have also heard of cases where vaccinated children are exposed yet still get the Chicken Pox.

jennayeasmommy

Asked by jennayeasmommy at 1:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They make booster shots to continue immunity
    Anonymous

• Yes, it's true that the Varicella vaccine does not provide a life-long immunity. (BTW, a lot of vaccines don't offer life-long immunity. Tetanus has to be readministered every 10 years for life.) However, exposure to the actual virus can lead to shingles in later life, which is extremely painful.

So it's a toss-up.

I can say from experience I wish I'd either gotten them MUCH younger or been immunized. I got CP at 13 and had them everywhere (yes, even down THERE.....) including the inside of my throat. I found out later that if the blisters in your throat rupture it can be fatal. I also spiked fevers, was delirious, hallucinated and was a social pariah when I went back to school 2 1/2 weeks later.
    Anonymous

• My son had the chicken pox shot when he was 2 years old...2 weeks later he had a mild case of the chicken pox.I found it to be nothing more than an extra "poke" my son had to get.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Kimber - b/c your son had the vaccines that's why it was "mild"
    Anonymous

• the whole get em twice dont get em again is CRAP!!! its much less likely if the cases are bad enough, but i ended up getting CP when i was 14!!!! i missed my spring break in high school because of them, and i still dont know who had them that i came in contact with!! it was awful. The side effects were much worse being older, atleast they seemed to be!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You CAN get chicken pox twice, exposure doesn't provide lifelong immunity either. Shingles in older people is the varicella virus coming back and creating incredibly PAINFUL blisters on the back, chest, and scalp.

Purposely exposing your child to a virus seems odd to me. Do you take him by to visit everyone who has a cold or the flu? Probably not.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The chicken pox vaccine is not supposed to make them completely immune, it is supposed to help lessen the symptoms as well as the overall sickness time. It also would not make you immune for life, adults can still get it and children can get it more than once in their lifetime. My good friends son and daughter both just got them within the week and was told that by the doctor. By the time they realized they had them they were almost through the contamination part, only itched for a good day/day and a half maybe and had no other symptoms such as fever, flu like symptoms. Both of my kids have been vaccinated and we have been around the whole family both during the time it was realized (they pop up fast) as well as the weeks prior and during. So far, they have not had any breakouts themselves.
    Anonymous

• All my kids got shots. except oldest boy when he was younger got chicken box then got them again when he was 12yrs.... my other two girl 11, boy 6 have had the shots but didn't get chicken box when the oldest had it... My friends son got the shot, and he also got a bad case of th pox.. it really just depends on there immune system.. my mother in law, got pox 4 times,.. once when she was little. and then when each of her kids got them...
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 4:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I did not get the vaccine and ended up getting shingles at age 9. I now have two girls and would do anything for them not to have to go through that. I remember having it like it was yesterday! it was like needles in my side that hurt so so bad and itched but when you touched it the pain was horrible! So its your choice but know the things that could happen both ways. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Actually getting the chicken pox doesn't necessarily provide life long immunity either.

No vaccine provides total immunity.

Once you have the chicken pox, the virus lies dormant in your system until a trigger kicks it off again. If you're an adult, it becomes shingles...much worse than the chicken pox. (for the record, it killed my grandmother)
    Anonymous