My ex husbaband left my 7 year old home alone

She was home alone w/ her older brother who is 9 (not my son). My daughter is 7, now she says it was 20 minutes that she was home alone (she tells me everything) but her father says it was 5 minutes...i can guarantee he is lying but then again she is just now learning how to tell time & they were watching TV, & time can be quite irrelevent when glued to cartoons. Regardless though, I am freaked out. We share custody 50/50, and it would be a bitter battle to change that. Anyhow, am i over reacting? I don't think so. You can never be too paranoid when it comes to your kids IMO. I got really upset w/ him, & told him that good parents don't even THINK of doing that. He replied w/ some harsh words, so harsh & repulsively offensive i cannot even repeat them. Anyhoo, i'm hurt by his evil words, & I'm upset that he left her alone. Sometimes i think of calling DFCS on him. Am i over reacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you are absolutely right! A 9 year old can't be expected to care for a younger child - no matter how long. What if your ex's car had broken down and he couldn't get right back to them???? There are so many what-ifs....If he were sorry and knew it was wrong that would be one thing, but it sounds like he wouldn't think twice about doing it again! I would call your lawyer.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i agree with the PP...i dont care how "responsible" a 7 year old is, you cant leave them home alone. they get into things, they get curious. yes sometimes the thought of doing things without kids would be easy but life isnt easy you gotta get over it!!!....i would def tell him not to let it happen again, and if he does youll contact the lawyer!! thats just not safe!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree with you to an extent. Do you trust your ex? I left my kids in the house alone at those ages for up to 1/2 hour. I was just next door, and we live in a rural area, but I felt safe doing it. Maybe you were over reacting. Do you really think he's a bad parent? You said you were hurt by his words, but you pretty much called him a bad parent. I don't think you really think that, you were just mad.
    Anonymous

• Even 20 minutes is too long to leave kids alone at that age. What did he have to do that was more important than his kids' safety? If he can't respond to your pointing out the obvious w/o getting verbally abusive, I'd recommend calling the lawyer to re-work the custody arrangements.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 3:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'd call and let them investigate. At the very least it will teach him not to do it again

Answer by admckenzie at 4:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Yeah probably wasnt the best idea. I'd just ask her to bring the kids with him if he has to go anywhere, even if it is just down the street, if he wont listen and he keeps leaving the kids alone, maybe you should take him to court and cut back on his visiting time or just try and get complete custody. You dont leave children that age at home alone, if anything happened to them (heaven forbid) he could get in big trouble for that, thats child endangerment.
    holly082290

Answer by holly082290 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• no your not overreacting a 9 year old would have no clue what to do if your daughter say started choking or the house started on fire. Tell him if it happens again you will have DHS investigate
    Anonymous