Do you give your child soda? Why or why not?

I just don't think a child that's in their first few years of life should be drinking soda but then again, I don't know the reason behind why some mothers give or don't give their children soda. Do you or do you not? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's all artificial stuff- even if it isn't diet, it is artificial stuff and several tablespoons of sugar- artificial color, artificial flavor, they just didn't need the junk. Besides I understood that the phosphorus interfered with calcium use, and also I didn't want them to get the idea that drinking several sodas a day was normal or desirable. Water is much better. no calories, no sugar, no artificial sugar, flavor, color.

Answer by Bmat at 2:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My kids had soda's as toddlers, we didnt' give them cafine at that age but sprite or 7-up is fine,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We try not to have soda in the house because as long as it's not there, they don't ask for it. But on the occasion me or their dad is drinking a soda, we might let them have a sip if they ask. Usually when I tell them no, they stop asking but they have tasted soda before.
    Anonymous

• No, I have 3 children...
    5 year old and twins age 7

To me there is no reason to give them soda....

They do not ask for it either, I hardly ever buy it..
    If they wanted to taste it, I would let them...but have it over water, juice or
    anything that is better for them...NO...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It's not good for kidneys.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Nope - too much sugar, artifical coloring/flavoring/sugar, carbonation and all else. No nutritional value whatsoever, and since growing kids with sporadic appetites need healthy nutritional foods, not junk filler like soda, I see no reason to let my son have any, and he's 4 now and never asks for any at my house. I don't drink it either, in case you were wondering. I used to, but there are too many better alternatives out there, espcially on hot days - like water.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't drink soda, so I never have any in my house, but if we are at a party or something && they have it then I might give him a diluted cup of it. I think it's fine every once in awhile, but not on a daily basis. I wouldn't want to give my baby a kidney infection or anything. My son will be 2 next month.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Soda isnt' any harder on the kidneys than juice, provided it's caffine free. Water is the best thing to give your children for kidney function. I never really gave my kids juice, they always had milk or water. Juice and soda's were always "treats" for my kids.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• no. there's not 1 good thing in it, and we are trying to teach good eating habits. my kids like *gasp* water! who woulda thought?
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• yup! I did my 2 older boys and they are just fine! I will do the same with my newborn when I think he's ready for it...
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 2:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009