Expired Frozen Meat...

Ok let me start out by saying I love my MIL. My husband is in the Marines and is gone to basic so I am staying with my MIL with my 4 1/2 month old son. We are living in her house that she has had for a very long time. Well, when I moved in, I noticed she has canned food that has gone years past it's expiration date...then I found frozen meat that says purchase by Dec. 07. I am not a food expert and I honestly don't know if this is healthy for me and her to eat, but she is cooking the pork chops that expired in Dec. 07 for dinner tonight. I just want to know if I would be ok to eat them for one...and if not, what should I do??? I don't want to be rude and tell her I won't eat that but I really can't afford to get sick!!! Please help!!!

Also - how far past the due date is canned food ok??? ...I know I probably sound stupid but I really just don't know so please don't bash me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Canned food I would get rid of. Frozen food SHOULD be safe. Frozen food lasts for a very, very long time. The only thing that really happens to it is freezer burn, which does effect the flavor. Unless the meat has been thawed then refrozen repeatedly, then it should be fine.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If it isn't bulging, it should be safe, but I wouldn't take the chance. As for old frozen meat, it would be safe, but it loses quality and will probably taste of freezer burn.

Answer by Bmat at 2:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Other words to the wise: As a rule, high-acid canned foods such as tomatoes can be stored on the shelf for 12 to 18 months; properly stored low-acid canned foods such as meat, fish, and most vegetables will keep 2 to 5 years. Don't use a can that's bulging. If perishable foods are packaged and frozen properly, they will be safe to eat after the expiration date, although the food may suffer freezer burn if it's stored for a long time. And if a food bears a date without words? Unfortunately, you'll have to guess what it means.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food/expired/useby-dates-for-food-304-expiration-date-expiration/overview/

Answer by Bmat at 2:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have no additional advice but this made me think of the first time I visited my husband's grandmother's house. The first morning we got up and he went to take a shower. His grandma had something for herself for breakfast and said I could help myself to whatever. So I get some cereal out of the pantry and start eating it. I'm thinking - eh, it's a little stale, no big deal. My husband comes out to the table and looks at the box and points to the date. It was from 1995! I was eating it in 2004. He said I have to eat what she eats or else there's no telling how long it's been there.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• THROW IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 years is way too long to use the foods. I would use canned foods within a couple of weeks of the date, same with boxed items. Meats, I would get rid of withn 6 months of the expiration date. I am very picky about expiration dates, there is a reason those are on the foods. I had food poisioning and I will never do that again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I had to wait until my husband got home because I couldn't remember, but we volunteered at a food bank a couple of months ago and they told us not to throw the canned food away that was past the expiration date unless it was 2 years past the date. Except for baby food.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree with Christina807 - canned food is actually safer longer than frozen meat. Unless the cans are bulging or dented, they should be fine - even at that, dented cans are typically okay too. I've always thought that meat should not be frozen longer than 12 months, but I don't remember where I heard that. did you try googling it?
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 4:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2009