Homeschooling and working fulltime?

My youngest son, who is 15, has been having stomach issues for the past few months. He was diagnosed last week, after having an endoscopy done, with gastroparesis. This is a condition where this stomach muscles do not work correctly. They do not contract and push the food down through the digestive tract. Because of this he deals with nausea a lot.

We withdrew him from the last month of school in May because he had missed so much school from being sick. He has been doing summer school online, which for the most part has worked pretty well.

If this doesn't get worked out soon, I'm not sure he'll be able to go to school when it starts up again. I have thought of homeschooling, but I do work fulltime- 40 hours per week. And honestly, right now, I know I can't afford to quit, or really even go parttime.

Any suggestions? Is is possible to homeschool and work fulltime?

rosiecotton

Asked by rosiecotton at 2:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• There are some online homeschool programs that would allow you to continue to work fulltime if he's up for doing that. I know there are also some work at your own pace home schooling programs. If you have a homeschool group in your area I would chat with them, or some of the homeschool mom's on here. Good luck.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• GED?
    Anonymous

• k12.com is a great program that the state pays for. Additionally ask your school, if you have a doc note they have programs where the teacher comes to your home. My son was very ill first semester last year and the school sent a teacher to the house mon-thurs.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We are looking into homeschooling my 15 yr. old grandson, we got in touch with K12.com,they even offer you a computer and books.I just don't know if I'm up to it, my grandson will have to be logged in for 6 hours,it's alot,but, what else can you do when your child can't make it to school. I wish you and your son a very sucessful year.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I went to the k12 web site. But by what I read, it sounds like he'd have to go to Indianapolis like twice a week, which if he could do that, then he could go to school!
    They have 'private school' online, too. But it was like $6000 a year!
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 8:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Look up online schools for your state. My son will be doing it this year.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009