Do you feed your kids processed foods?

Do you feed your kids processed foods like Chef Boyardee or something similiar?

If so do you know what the sodium content is in those foods (without googling them) and what the reccomended sodium intake for a toddler is?

A HALF OF a can (which is the reccomended serving size) of Chef Boyardee can have anywhere from 960 Mg up to 1150 MG of sodium in a serving (again which is HALF A CAN) not a whole can.

The reccomended sodium intake for a toddler is 325-1000mg. A DAY

How many of you knew what you were actually feeding your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do once in a while i make sopas for them and i make my own tomato sauce for it they like it better.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I do not, for that very reason. I never ate the stuff but once I had a child I started readin labels and couldn't BELIEVE what was in these "foods".
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 2:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my kids are very picky but i try to limit half a can every couple of days.... they eat healthy in my opinion....
    luckyhart

Answer by luckyhart at 2:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Edit: readin = reading
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 2:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i didn't know to to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have cared. i have no more toddlers for now but when and if I do spaghettios were good enough for my first 4 and for myself for that matter. You are not going to kill them by letting them have raviolisfor god sakes. Don't sweat the small stuff. We didn't have car seats when we were kids. Shit one of my moms cars didn't even have a floor! My sis and I would throw stuff  through the floor and then pop up to watch it bounce out the back window....

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my DS has these ocassionally, bit he eats maybe 3-4 bites... he does enjoy hot dogs and fish/chicken nuggets, which he gets rarley..

he would prefer to eat yogurt and cheese all day
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i do but who really cares how much sodium is in the food. All it is, is salt. There is sodium in just about everything. And sodium(salts) not bad for you or your kids, it actually helps keep water in the body.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I do sometimes. Even if It is not Canned I will buy sauce and boxed meals to feed us all. I know packaged foods have more sodium too. But it's not every day so I don't obsess over it.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It seems like I am feeding her the same things every day but this is what she eats (not every day)
    Oatmeal
    Graham crackers
    cheese and ham
    Strawberries and bananas
    Grapes
    Macaroni and cheese
    Turkey dogs
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
    any kind of veggy
    and what ever we eat for dinner.
    All of our veggies are either fresh from the garden or bought from the store.
    But with our budget I can't really buy the more expensive organic foods.
    I know that canned veggies have a rediculous amount of sodium in them and thats why we get the fresh and grow our own.
    I think I am doing pretty good from what I am seeing other parents give their toddlers.
    Underwoodwife

Answer by Underwoodwife at 2:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We stay away from over processed foods in general. My husband and I feed our kids what we eat which is home grown, local food. We are a huge supporter of the slow foods movement and do our best to live within those principles. My family gets along fine without canned ravioli and boxed macaroni and cheese powder. I am often criticized for not "utilizing" the processed crap that is offered at the grocers and most people assume that we must have a lot of free time on our hands. I wish it were so. Even though both my husband and I work and I have started working on my doctorate we still feel it is important to take the time to feed our children with healthy, filler/chemical free foods! I care about these things because how we teach our children to eat now will effect them in the long run. It's no coincidence that things like obesity and diabetes in children have risen since more processed food has been given to our kids!

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 2:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009