If you had PPD...how did you bring it up to your doctor? Also what meds are safe while breastfeeding and how long do you have to be on them?

I'm really nervous about the idea of bringing this up to my doctor. This is just really embarassing for me. I know that I shouldn't be embarassed but I'm am. I feel guilty about having 2nd child because my 1st child is reactin so badly and then I feel guilty about feeling guilty because I love my new baby. I'm cry all the time, I feel like I'm in a fog, I'm overwhelmed and yesterday just out of no where I started having thoughts about myself that scare the hell out me. I don't want to die.i don't know why I started having those thoughts. I KNOW I HAVE to get help. This is just so embarrassingg for me. I feel ashamed and I don't know why.

I just don't know how to bring up PPD with my doctor. Also how long do you have to be on the medication because the idea of being on meds for more than a couple of weeks really freaks me out! What ones are safe while BF?

(my baby is 2.5 weeks old).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The Dr will give you a med that is safe to take while BFing, just let him/her know. PPD will not get better on its own most of the time so dont try to wait this out. It can be very serious and if you are thinking about hurting yourself, you really need to bring it up. Being embarrassed is normal, if you cant talk to them about it can your SO, or mom come to hte apt with you to help you. Dont feel bad or feel like a failure this is a hormone imbalance and your body has and is going through alot. Baby blues laast about 14 days, anything past that can turn into PPD. Meds do not mean you will be on them forever, but just long enough to help your body level out. If it is not treated it can turn into regular depression, so the quicker you get help the better the out come will be. Tell your doctor how you feel etc..dont leave anything out, because you could be overwhelmed and still experianceing baby blues but the lack of help
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• just call your dr and tell them what you jsut said! there are many perscriptions that are safe while bf'ing... also talking with a theripast/phyciatrist would help too.. many ob's can prescribe meds but arent famiilure with them so they ahve a hard time getting you the right one..

its better to feel silly and get help than to be the way you are.
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• cont.. or support is causing the intense feelings at the moment. I dont know because I am not with you, so let the Dr know everything. Getting help is a good thing for you and your children, nothing to feel bad about. We all need help sometimes.. If you feel the need to talk, you can PM me anytime.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009