Has anyone ever heard of taking the pill to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?

A close friend of mine lost her mother to ovarian cancer and her Doctor wants to put her on the pill. She's 44 yrs. old and afraid of the pill's negative side effects, but would rather deal with side effects than getting cancer. Has anyone ever heard of this? Help!!

DesignGirl5

Asked by DesignGirl5 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Health

• no - but i have been put back on the bc pill because of too many cysts on my ovaries & a hormonal inbalance causing me not to have periods. i'm 31 & had a tubal after my son was born.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 3:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Some birth control pills help lessen the chance of ovarian and other cancers,that is one of the positives of birth control pills, other than to prevent pregnancies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009