Is autism an autoimmune disease?

We all make normal antibodies against various diseases (for instance when we receive immunizations). Studies have found that some autistic children have inappropriate antibodies in their blood that attack nerve cells on their own brains and spinal cord.
An association with autoimmune enteropathies
with specific antibodies targeted to gut epithelial cells has been shown in ASD. In a recent paper, serum from a mother with an autistic child, when injected into gestating mice, induced behavioral changes including altered exploration, motor coordination and changes in cerebellar magnetic resonance spec-troscopy in the offspring. In contrast, mice injected with serum from mothers with typically developing children showed no such changes in behavior.
This study supports the notion that maternal anti-
Is autism an autoimmune disease?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No, I don't think it is. Autisim is a Neurological disorder not an autoimmune disorder. You haven't provided ANY reliable resources to back up your info or thoughts, without it there is NO WAY I would believe anything. I need hard, reliable, proven information. Sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• (cont) bodies may influence the neurodevelopmental process
    in autism. Several autoimmune diseases can be
    transferred from mother to fetus by pathogenic IgG
    antibodies. These include myasthenia gravis, Graves’
    disease, thrombocytopenic purpura, neonatal lupus
    rash and/or congenital heart block, and phemphigus
    vulgaris. Alternatively, the maternal immune response
    may directly impact fetal brain development and
    produce pathology via altered levels of circulating
    cytokines which demonstrate assorted effects on
    neuronal tissue such as the modulation of systemic
    and CNS responses to infection, injury and inflam-
    mation
    Anonymous

• Do you have a link? I ask because if this has to do with the "measles in the gut" theory that was disproved a LONG time ago...Wakfield Study. If there is NEW information out there dated in say the last 6 months, I'd be interested. Otherwise, you are just rehashing outdated materials.

Autism is a genetic neurological disability.....like any other gestational developmental condition. I had a complete assay test done prior to trying to get pregnant, and the results indicated I am unable to contract ANY common childhood illness. I'm over 40, and never had measles, mumps, chicken pox, or even the common cold! SO if my immune system is "off the charts" you'd think that I'd have passed that on to my children (who are both autistic), along with the fact that I breastfed them both until their 1st birthdays.
    Anonymous

• One cannot form an appropriate opinion on information posted without a proper link. Not only that, without proper citations, you're breaking several copyright laws.
    Anonymous

• Finding the cause is great IF IT LEADS TO TREATMENT, CURE, OR PREVENTION.  Otherwise it's just interesting research.

Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Sorry-- it is a Neurological disorder -- NOT autoimmune disorder.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the book link.

I read a couple of pages and had to stop because I was laughing so hard.

They genetically engineered mice for their testing. They engineered them to display SYMPTOMS of Fragile X Syndrome. (have symptoms of, not actually have) These are the mice they used in their "research".

Then, they tried to infer these results towards possible treatment of autism. Fragile X Syndrome symptoms often mimic Autism, but it is totally different than FXS!!!

Definitely not buying it. (the book or the information)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Autism is a neurological condition. This is why those with autism have different neural pathways, bigger brains, more grey matter, etc.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2009