Am I being too quick to assume my dd is hungry?

My dd is 7 weeks old and she's been sleeping through the night for the last 2-3 weeks which is awesome of course! (when I say that I mean she sleeps from arounf midnight until 6-7ish) Anyway, during the day I feel like I am constantly feeding her when she's awake, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm the cause for that. Everytime she fusses/cries for more than 2-3 minutes I offer her my breast. She ALWAYS takes it. Has never refused once. But sometimes she eats for like 3-4 mins and then falls right asleep, or pulls of and is satisfied. My question is am I being too quick to assume she's hungry? Am I starting a bad habit here? Thanks Moms...(first time mom here)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• **OP** and I do offer her a paci first, btw.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You'll be able to start to distinguish between cries. I would hold off a little bit longer and try other things first. Try her diaper...and maybe she just wants some comfort..that's why she'll take your breast. Congratulations!!
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 2:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Congrats! She is still really young...you're not starting any bad habits quite yet. My daughter was exactly the same at this age...she slept 6 hours at night at 6 weeks and 11 hours by 8 weeks...and she ate A LOT during the day. When they sleep so long so early, they have to makeup for the missing calories during the day. Plus, many babies will instinctively cluster feed like that (eat frequently for short periods of time) to help increase your milk supply so that milk is available during the day. If you're getting a good night sleep at 7 weeks...you're doing great! Your baby will naturally fall into a feeding/sleeping pattern but it won't be until 3-5 mo. or so. Try to watch her patterns and start setting them in stone once you recognize them. Eventually, you'll be able to tell which cry means what (i.e. wet diaper, hunger, comfort, sleepy, etc.)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I BF also, and whenever my DD cries, I always offer her the boob first thing. (she's 3.5 mos). If you were bottle feeding though, I would offer paci first. Since your baby is so new, your body still needs to let her nurse a lot to build up your supply. Good luck!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• This early, babies go through many growth spurts and will nurse constantly. It is a good thing to offer the breast often. It helps your supply to keep up with the baby. Even comfort nursing helps the supply. She will take the breast when she needs to and will refuse when she doesn't. Don't worry, you are doing perfectly!
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 8:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• With my kids I always tried other methods of comfort if it had been less than 3 hours since their last feeding. I did not want to train my babies that food is the only source of comfort. I also concentrated on getting really full feedings, actively trying to keep them awake while eating (I would stroke their bodies, undress them, anything to keep them awake) so they would get a full feeding which would hold them longer than the 3-4 min feedings. If baby has a full tummy at each feeding, it will give you more time in between.

Answer by missanc at 8:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009