Homeschooling Moms...

How do you situate your classroom when you have younger children to keep an eye/ear out for as well??

My son is 5 and we will be homeschooling him for the first time this year. He has a table in his room already but Im unsure how to situate things with my younger two sons while Im working with my oldest.

Should I just put a gate up at the bedroom door? Shut the younger two in the playroom or put a gate up there?

tia....

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I started homeschooling, my kids were 5 & 3. We did, and still do, work from the couch and coffee table. I would work with the older one while the younger one colored or painted. I did a lot of reading out loud with both of them snuggling on the couch with me. It was easier to include the younger as much as he wanted to be included. I even got him a big preschool workbook to work out of so he would feel included. He would do one or two pages and then go back to his artwork or Legos.

BTW, welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I do not homeschool, but I know people who do. They sit all the kids down at the kitchen table for workbooks and everything else is done on the fly, not a classroom setting. You start teaching kids from the time they are born, so your 2 younger ones should be able to sit and color or do a puzzle while the older is doing the workbook.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I should add my younger two are 3 and 18 mths. Im sure the 3 yr old would sit and color or draw for a bit but my 18 mth old wouldnt. He'd want to get into what everyone else had and crawl on the table,etc LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Just because you homeschool doesn't mean it has to be all laid out like traditional school. Maybe you can homeschool your oldest while your youngest is having nap time. I'm not usre if that kind of a schedule would work for your family or not but it would be worth a try if it meant one less distraction.

I started homeschooling last year and my kids were 2, 4, and 5. I bought full sized clipboards from the dollar store and let them do their homework on those if we go outside or sit on the couch and they think it's so cool! Even the little one liked it becase she only got it for that part of the day...something special.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We start at the dining table for our lessons, then my 3 kids split up when it's time to work individually. When I had younger children we still worked at the dining table while the younger ones played. Sure, sometimes they got interested in what the older kids were doing, but that didn't last long. If they were interested then I'd pick them up and sit them on my lap and continue with the lesson. When they tired of sitting still they got down.

I don't spend 100% of the lesson time with the kids. I read over the lessons, I explain directions, then they work on the lessons on their own. Even in kindergarten they had math or language exercises that didn't require ALL of my time. I do stay available to help if they have a question.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We don't have a classroom or even one specific area where we learn. We read while sitting in bed, on the sofa, outside on a blanket, or where ever else we happen to plop down with a book. We draw, write and do crafts at the dining room table, on lap desks, or out on the picnic table. We listen to audio books in the car. I've always made whatever we were doing a family affair. If the younger one didn't want to join in with what the older child and I were doing, there were always other things around for her to do (playing with toys, looking at books, playing in the sandbox, etc.) I think it's much easier to make the homeschooling fit into your lifestyle than it is to try to rearrange your life to fit around homeschooling.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2009