Do you think its safe to start an in-home daycare with a 3mo old of my own?

I am currently in need of a way to make money without a MLM or direct sale company or business ( I am already involved). I have 8 years childcare experience and cant consider a nanny position anymore because of my 3mo old. If you have any suggestions other than the above stated that would help too. Thanks so much

Aerbennett

Asked by Aerbennett at 3:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would not be a bad idea, just research your state guidelines as to how many children of what ages you can take on. I almost wish I could do daycare, but my house is far too small.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• why can't you do a nanny position? I'm 9 months pregnant and interviewing for a nanny position that will start the end of august. I don't know the family (found them through craigslist) I told them I'm pregnant and have a 3 y/o. I would assume if it were a problem they wouldn't have gotten back to me but they still did so we will see...
    Anonymous

• I just wouldnt think another family would want me working while i have an infant or even invite the possibility of my infant coming to work with me
    Aerbennett

Answer by Aerbennett at 3:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• well if 1 family won't hire you why would numerous? not trying to sound rude or anything but its a thought.
    Anonymous

• youre right i just havent had any luck finding any here
    Aerbennett

Answer by Aerbennett at 4:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Personally I don't think a home day care is EVER a good idea. You are literally inviting strangers in to your home with you and your kids. Never a good thing! When I was a child we attended daycare and there was more than once what could have been dangerous situations. Due to the fact that there was numerous teachers there, nothing was ever beyond their handiling, but more than once had they been alone, it could have gotten bad.

I also think there is a big difference between being a nanny and a daycare owner. I would be less likely to hire a nanny with a child than I would send my kids to a daycare where the lady had a child. With a nanny you are hiring someone to care for your kids and only your kids. With a daycare you assume there are others.

If you have to choose, go with the day care idea, but that one can still be shakey...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If you're thinking about doing child care with an infant of your own, you might look around at local child care centers to see if they are hiring. Sometimes, they let their staff have a child there for free or at a reduced rate. It also takes the liability issues off your hands....
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• When my daughter was born 2 months early, I knew I didnt want to go back to work. Well we needed my income so I started a home daycare when she was about 9 months old. I LOVED IT! It was great for her to have kids to play with, and I didnt have to miss anything she did. I also got to experiance these things with other kids. I did it for almost 6 years, and loved every second of it!
    Kaitys_Mom

Answer by Kaitys_Mom at 12:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009