23 weeks and contracting!! HELP!!

I'm having what feels like contractions in my lower abdomen. I've been drinking lots and lots of water and laying on my left side, but they're still coming. They don't go away when I move or change positions.

It's weird though because they only last about 8-12 seconds and are coming every 45 seconds to 2 minutes apart and are quite painful! Could these be real contractions, wouldn't they last longer? What else could it be, and what should I do? I don't want to rush off to L&D if it's just gas or something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• probally braxton gicks, call you doctor 1st though
    Anonymous

• if they are regular and not stopping with position changes etc. you could be going into early labor, call your Dr or the L& D floor at your hospital, they will advise you on what to do, if its not true contractions, I would rather be embarressed than end up in labor that they cant stop. Call them !!!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Call your doctor on your way to L&D! Dont wait, cause the longer you wait IF your in labor the less time the doctor has to stop Labor!
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 3:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• as much as it can be a pain to go to the dr and be sent home because you think yr in labor and yr not its still better safe then sorry,,, they see it everyay so if yr not truly in labor they arnt gona think yr crazy.. and if you are in labor they wi8ll know what to do
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Go straight to L and D!! I started contractions with both my kids at 17 weeks. I didn't deliver either until 36 weeks but if I hadn't had the peace of mind given to me by the L and D dep't each of the many times I thought I was going into labor, it could have been very different. No-one will laugh at you for being cautious and a good mom. Good Luck.
    lovemykids847

Answer by lovemykids847 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• just go to the ER
    Anonymous

• call ur doc an plzzz kp us posted
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• ******UPDATE******

I got my phone to call the dr. and then decided to get a drink one more time and lay on my left side just so I could tell him I've done that and also to keep track of a few more contractions to tell him what they were doing. I had one contraction and haven't had another since so as of right now I'm not calling anymore. PHEW! I was getting so scared!
    Anonymous

• im glad for u hope all goes good
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009