• In the Spotlight:

Any suggestions on how to take a road trip with a 1 yr old?

Hi other mommys! My husband and i will be leaving for idaho on thursday for a family funeral. we'll be taking our nearly 1 yr old daughter so this will be our 1st road trip. It's an approximately 12 hour drive (without kids!) so i need some ideas on how to keep our daughter entertained so she doesn't end up screaming the whole time. she just started walking so now that she's mobile, keeping her still for long periods may be a challenge. Any ideas or advice would be very appreciated!

brynleesmama

Asked by brynleesmama at 3:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh yes it is difficult. I took a trip from NC to NY with our son...he was 7 months. He did not like being in that car seat at all. So he would sleep, then wake up and cry, we'd stop and took him out and walked around....then got back on the road. The second we got back on the road, he pooped...haha, so then we stopped again. So it was just a lot more stops. Bring toys that she likes. I don't think I would ever travel that long again with my son in the car.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Make sure she has some toys and some books, a favorite blanket or stuffed animal and just try to keep her comfy. Stop every few hours to let her stretch her legs, but if she falls asleep... DRIVE AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!!!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Last year we drove from Chicago to Denver with only one over night stop. My kids were 1 1/2 and 3....... and we had a blast! We took a portable dvd player (which surprisingly both kids loved, a few CDs the kids loved (Little Mermaid, nursery rhymes, etc) and a favourite blanket each. I also made sure we had a cooler within easy access for snacks and drinks all at their regular snack time. All of that coupled with regular excersise stops and it went great. Just like 'mommylovesu28' our little one also pooped the moment we got on the road, that's life I guess!
    lovemykids847

Answer by lovemykids847 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We took our almost 2yr old son to MI for a family wedding and it is usually 9hrs to get there. What I did was buy some new little toys for him to play with (cars, characters) and put that in a mesh bag that attached to his car seat. We did most of the driving at night- hoping he would sleep. We also stopped every 2hrs (I was 8 1/2mo pregnant) and we stretched our legs, and let him run off some steam.
    If you have a portable dvd player that might help entertain her. Bring her favorite toy(s), her blanket, books to read to her.
    Have fun, I hope the trip goes well!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• DVD player, DVD player! Get some baby einstein DVD's. My son doesn't watch them a bunch at home, but they kept him totally entertained in the car. I think he watched baby einstein for 6 hours straight actually! We took my son on his second 12-14 hour road trip last Christmas. He was 14 months old. (The first was when he was 2 months old) Everything everyone else has mentioned are great ideas. Stopping is very important! Especially since she just started to walk. She's gonna need to walk around a little. (your 12 hour trip may turn into 14 or more, but they need to get out and move aruond!) I think we actually took our DS to the MCD's playground. He was too little to go all over it, but he could run and do a few things.

Where are you driving from and where to in Idaho. I can tell ya the good places to stop maybe if you're traveling the same route we travel. I live in Rupert Idaho and my hometown is Gridley, CA.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My husband and I are about to go to NE with our 13 month old, which is a 16 hour trip according to mapquest. We are going to make it a night trip, so hopefully that will help. My husband is going to sleep all day, and then we will leave shortly after dinnertime. My son's bedtime is normally 7-8pm, and we are hoping that he will sleep most of the trip away! Then we will only have to deal with a few stops early in the day. On the way back we are going to make it an overnight trip. But I agree, DVD player and Baby Einstein will most likely be a lifesaver...I am going to try that one also!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 6:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009