Overweight

Ok I know this sounds like a stupid question but now my mom has me worried.. I have a daughter who was born a month early and at birth weighed 6lbs 1.2oz..Upon us leaving the hospital she weighed 5lb 12oz. She will be 7 weeks on Thurs and when we took her to the dr today she weighed 10lbs 9oz. My mom thinks she is overweight and that I am feeding her too much. She only eats 4 ozs every three hrs during waking hrs and 5 ozs during the night (during the night she wakes up less and wants more) Is my mom right? Is she overweight for her age? I think it's just a difference seeing her filled out when she was sooooo little at birth. I told mom she was that tiny 7 weeks ago and she is suppose to fill out and grow.. I don't think she is overweight but I could be wrong? Am I feeding too much or too often? Is this a normal healthy weight for a 7 week old?? Any help or advice will be appreciated

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 3:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What percentile is your baby in? Was your doctor concerned? I think it sounds fine to me. I mean she has to grow.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 3:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• your mom is crazy! Your baby is not over weight! A skinny baby is just weird looking. They need to have fat. My girl was SUCH a fatty after abou 6 months. She is LOOONG & LEEEEN now.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• sounds like you have a happy healthy 7 week old. Keep up the good work mom.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 3:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The dr isn't worried about it.. he was surprised by it slightly cause I had to work sooo hard to get weight on her and when she first saw him several weeks ago she was only 7lbs 1.2 oz... So I mean i didn't think less than 5 lbs in 7 weeks was overweight but my mom tells me all the time I need to lower her feeding doses or feed her less often..it hurts my feelings.. its because her face has filled out a lot since her birth..
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 3:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• she's fine. It's not like she's going to be obese. This country is so obsessed about weight that now we worry about newborns being overweight? That's just crazy. If the dr isn't upset then don't worry about it. They lose a lot of what fat they do get by the time they are toddlers bc they run it off then. She's fine
    Anonymous

• good grief, does your mom want her on a diet and working out too? Tell her to lighten up and worry about her own weight.. This is a new baby for goodness sakes!
    Anonymous

• If your doctor isn't worried, ignore your mom. Info has changed since you were little and your mom probably doesn't remember very much clearly from then either. Far more important than her raw weight number is her Body Mass index and her growth curve.

Your baby knows how much she needs. She is growing by leaps and bounds. She is nearly 2 months old and the average at that age is about 11 pounds. If your mom continues to harp on it, thank her for her input, tell her you've discussed the issue with her doctor, and tell her that you are the mom and it's your turn to make the decisions now. Yes, that will cause hard feelings but she has to realize at some point that she is not the mom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Yeah I would ignore your mom. Who cares if her face filled out that just means she is a healthy baby. Do not stop giving her what she is taking. The baby is taking what she needs.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 4:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My baby was really chubby until 6 months, then her growth evened out and she's average. Unless the doctor is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My Dh was worried about our youngest, but she is a big baby. She is in the 85th percentile of her group. She is 4 months old, but she looks bigger. I have never let anyone get too me about my kids. My kids are happy and healthy. The way this country is going, we are going to have an epidemic of anorexic and bulimic children if we are not careful. This country is concerned with kids being overwieght they are not realizing the damage they are doing. My dd is only 4 pounds over her what she should be and her doctor is not at all worried about it. Your baby knows when she wants to eat.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009