Does welfare pay for college?

I want to go back to school full time but do they pay for me to go to college? And also, do you know if I would be exempt from their welfare-to-work program if I am enrolled in school full time? And would they pay for my child care at the school's daycare? Thank you! Please no bashing on me being on welfare you don't know my situation so please don't judge me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• i don't think they do, nor do i think they should, i'm not bashing you but you can't expect the rest of us to pay for everything for you
    Anonymous

• It varies state to state. I think here in Ohio they have some kind of program to help you go back to school and get off of welfare. My sisters friends did this and now has a job with the county. Call your local office and ask.

Anonymous

• I agree with :54.... Around here they will pay for some schooling, but I don't think a full 4 year deal. And they should pay for child care, as well. I think it's great that you don't want to sit around collecting for the rest of your life!!
    Anonymous

• Call your case worker and speak to her/him about it i know in my state they will help you out with it all cause your trying to better yourself for you and your family. I just want you to know that i am pround of you for trying to better yourself good job mommy. look me up anytime.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• www.fafsa.ed.gov

Apply for federal aid. You may also qualify for grants if you are within a certain income and are on WIC, foodstamps, etc.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I was exempt from welfare to work program bc I initiated returning to school on my own. I got a Pell Grant (free money from the federal govt) to go back to school. I got free daycare, gas money allotment and when i did get a job they deducted 2/3 of my income as some incentive thing (reward for getting my own job) so they still gave me medicaid, foodstamps and daycare help.
    Anonymous

• It depends on what programs you are on. I am on the Dislocated Worker program and the state does pay for my tuition, but I still have to be working to get the funds. I still get foodstamps and medical because I work part time because that is all I have been able to find so far. In Wisconsin, if your child is 6 or over, you MUST be looking or working for a job while going to school or they take your foodstamps and cash assistance. Also, once your child turns 6 and you have grants or scholarships for schooling, they count that as INCOME for your foodstamps and medical. The programs in Wisconsin only pay for 2 years at a technical college and the field must pay an average of $13 or more an hour for the program to pay the tuition. Call your caseworker and see what is out there. I am proud of you for trying to better yourself and situation, ignore those that are ignorant and bitchy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• There was a lawsuit and they are now forced to in New York state and vermont.
    look up Devila versus state of New York. And no bashing I am on pa and now so I must work 35 hours and go to school which means I have PA but do not get anything from them other
    Than Childcare

Good Luck I will e-mail you the law suit or mail it to you
    mamicharacter

Answer by mamicharacter at 9:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Like PP said, you can get the pell grant. Also check with your school because they may be able to give you credits for work you have already done to help you out.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2009