you "healthy" parents against soda.....

You people crack me up! you act as if its a drug in a can or something. sure its not healthy but neither is juice because when you look at all the damn sugar in juice,natural or not, its just as much if not more......my son and i dont really drink soda we prefer iced tea much more but when were at a party or bbq or whatever and he asks for a soda im totally fine with it b/c i know hes not addicted to sugar and hes not fat or unhealthy.....he simply sees it as a treat.....that kid would kill for his own can of arizona peach iced tea LMAO

Crushersmommy

Asked by Crushersmommy at 3:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• lol my dd likes mtn dew, as a matter of fact she's drinking some right now... granted, she loves water, milk and iced tea too she has never liked juice
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Uh... Soda is full of carbonic acid that eats away at the enamel on teeth. Not to mention the caffeine is NOT good for a small child, and can cause damage to the heart. Oh, and that whole thing about being a bazillion EMPTY calories, and has no vitamins and minerals. Juice has vitamins and minerals.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• juice eats away at the enamel on teeth too (citric acid) soda every now in then isn't going to kill them
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I dont give Caine soda on a daily basis but like you said at a party or bbq why not? IIf he's not insisting on soda with every meal I dont see the problem with letting him have it for a treat every once in awhile, Or on a whim we go to fast food and He gets a sprite, No big deal.  I think its worse if you keep your child from having a treat when all the other kids at the party or bbq are having a soda.  I dont agree that juice has the same amount of sugar as soda not to mention the caffeine, But just like all sweets its fine in moderati0on, Which is a good thing IMO to teach our children anyway.

cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 4:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i let my boys drink soda every once in a while. i like to give the ice tea or some jucie or water. i no juice has a lot sugar just i perfer them to drink another other the soda
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 4:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My kids don't drink anything but water or milk on a daily basis, so if we are somewhere and they want juice or a little soda I'm fine with that. I would never criticize somebody who doesn't allow it at all though, it may seem extreme to those of us who do allow it once in a while but they are only trying to make sure their children are healthy as possible. Nothing wrong with that.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Actually, soda has three different acids, usually: citric, carbonic and phosphoric. Not to mention 100% apple juice has around 31g of sugar per 8 oz. (varies slightly between brands) and soda has anywhere from 39 to 50 g of sugar per 12 oz can, with no other redeeming qualities (aka vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc).

And the effects that caffeine can have on an ADULT can be horrendous- why would you give that to a child? It IS a drug, and is classified as an addictive substance. Would you hand your kid a pack of cigarettes and tell them to light up? Caffeine might not be AS damaging as quickly, but it does take its toll.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree I am a diabetic and so is my 7 yr old niece and we can't drink juice all the time and all we want it really messes our and sugars and there is nothing wrong with soda if it is in moderation, I mean as long as you drink milk and water, whats the problem?? As far as the acid BRUSH YOUR TEETH after you drink a soda. I mean really there is Crystal Light and other sugar free drinks that we drink but if you think about it look at the artifical sweetners that are in that and you know people say thats sooo unhealthy but what choices are there, so yes we drink lots of water , teas and all the diet drinks we can. LMAO
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You really can't compare smoking to soda, OMG there is nothing wrong with it in moderation like most of the treats today, as much as I would like to eat fruit all day we can't for the reasons in my first post, so we do what we can, but smoking to soda ......LMAO
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Diet drinks are worse than regular- they might not have the sugar, but everything that's been put in their place... Ugh...

Has anyone ever heard that saying, "If you can't pronounce the ingredient list, it shouldn't go in your body"?
    Anonymous