Are you germaphobic?

I see so many people that are scared of germs! I just don't get it. Germs are every where, so how do you avoided them? Why isn't just washing your hands well good enough? Do you avoided certain things because of this fear? I'm just trying to understand this phobia better.

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Health

• I guess it is the horror stories of the flesh eating bacteria and viruses that kill. Of encephalitis, and contagious diseases for which there are no treatments. I am more aware of the possibility of encountering nasty and dangerous diseases now than I used to me. I do a lot more hand washing.

Answer by Bmat at 4:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Im not a "germaphobic" but I HATE touching the public bathroom door handle, I don't really know what it is,it just gets me sick thinking that some1 might have coughed in their hands and then touch the doors.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I am to an extent. I realize that they're everywhere and that's why we wash our hands frequently and I disinfect table tops and counter tops. I'm especially a germaphobe in the winter months when the flu is going around. I HATE THE FLU!!! We don't tend to hang out in places that breed germs often at those times. Otherwise, I let my kids have fun and get dirty...they just get an extra good scrubdown afterwards!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm a total germaphobe. I wiped down all six flights this week that I took, with Lysol. We were sick all year, literally. So I am trying to avoid places like Chuck E Cheese, Science Centers, the Acquarium, the bus, gross restaurants. I understand the germs are everywhere but I am tired of being sick.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009