Wits end with 6 year olds angry outburts in school!

My son is a happy, bright kid. But he has impulse control issues. We've taken him to psychologists, neurologists, etc. He is overall very well behaved and academically bright...but he has issues sometimes hitting in school and getting very angry about being teased. As if he has no control over his emotions and all that we talk about at home goes out of the window.He then has extreme outburts when he's told that I will be called. Screaming, crying, throwing himself on the floor, etc. And screaming that he doesn't want to go home, he hates his house, etc. He is an only child and is very well taken care of. Any mature advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention that at the end of kindergarten all his academic grades were A's and his social grades were mostly B's. He is now reading at a 2nd grade level and math too.
    The emotions are the hardest part to deal with... my son is almost 7 and now (after almost a year) it is easier for him to take a big breath when he is upset (with me right there reminding him) and to calm down. With patience, you can teach him how to take on his emotions. Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• What did the psychologist say? I know he's young, but a chemical imbalance (bipolar disorder) may be what you are dealing with. It's not your fault, it is what it is. Maybe a low-dose medication will help him deal with his "short fuse" before it gets out of control.

Does your son play sports, or have a physical outlet to let off steam? That may help him! Boys need to be physical!!!
    Anonymous

• My son was having A LOT of problems when he started kindergarten. His doc tried to say he was ADHD, but I knew he wasn't. After trying him on meds, the doc agreed that he isn't. His psychologist agrees he isn't, but he was still having impulse control issues. I removed COMPLETELY all High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, and Sorbitol from his diet. Everyone can see the differences in him, including his teacher and neighbors. In fact, they can even tell when he has had something he shouldn't (like a medicine a couple weeks ago that had Sorbitol - I thought I was going to die - we hadn't had behavior like that in months!!!) It would be a great place for you to start.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Have you tried anger management classes? I also like Amber's advice.
    Anonymous

• I hope you don't take this wrong. you said he is well taken care of. Is he well taken care of as in material things? I know when my son had this issue and he had everything he needed as in clothes, food, whatever he wanted really, but the root of it ended up being him just wanting to spend one on one time with me and his dad. We started "dates" where it would be just me and my son or my husband and my son. With in a month of doing this he was not showing as much agression in school. We had done everything before that, just like you did. I hope this helps. GL!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Since this behavior happens only at school, you should request that the school do an FBA (Functional Behavioral Assessment) to develop a BIP (Behavioral Intervention Plan). An FBA is when the school has different people watch your son throughout the day over several days and in different environments (eg...math class, gym, recess, reading, etc.), making notes on the ABCs of his behaviors. A = Antecedent or what came b/f the behavior (possible triggers), B = Behavior or what he is doing, and C = Consequences or what he is getting out of the behavior (either good or bad). Then, based on the results of the FBA, you & the school develop a BIP. The BIP is a document that outlines your son's triggers & ways to intervene b/f he gets aggressive, as well as how to respond once behaviors occur. A BIP is not a list of ways to punish a child for misbehaving!! Cont. below.....
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The FBA & BIP put you & the school on the same page on how to respond to your son's behaviors in an appropriate & effective way. Having an FBA done may divulge a pattern to your child's behaviors that wasn't apparent before because nobody was tracking them well, which in turn may reveal an "easy" fix after (eg..he really bright & bored) or that there is something serious going on (eg....bullying by another student). Also, both the FBA & BIP are legal documents, so can work to protect your son from legal action should one of his aggressive episodes cause another injury.

Asking for the FBA & BIP may also push the school to work a little harder to meet your son's needs. Based on the results of the FBA, the school district may also ask to have him evaluated for other services such as OT, or they may ask to do a psychological evaluation, which couldn't hurt because it may reveal a hidden learning disability or giftedness. GL!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2009