About the 'murdered couple who are known for adopting special-needs kids' ...

I read on CNN i believe that 3 seen it happen (idk if they meant seen them killed or seen the people) ... my question is .. if it was the 'needs' kids , can they take what they say into court or wherever , against these people , even if these kids are 'mentally retarded'? ... like i said im not sure if it was the 'needs' kids who seen it or not , it was on the scroll at the bottom and i wasnt home to see the actual news of it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not all special need kids are "mentally retarted".
    Anonymous

• i would hope that they use any eye witness accounts from these children to pursue leads or point the investigation in a certain direction but would certainly expect the investigators to gather actual physical evidence and not stop with or rely upon eyewitness accounts alone.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• anone @ 4:23 -- I seen their family photo and most of them look like they couldnt even sit up.

To op: Im not sure. Its all over EVERY news station like every 5 minutes (of course!) so if you catch it , maybe it will be on again , im not sure. I dont care for the case as much , until i hear the side of the killers.
    Anonymous

• mellypoo -- but would they HONESTLY rely on the 'needs' kids statements? i mean can you honestly rely on those?
    Anonymous

• Are you serious?? You have NO idea what they have and it's kind of rude to ASSume that all special needs kids have mental issues. My Son is disabled and is extremely bright and cognitively 110% there.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

My Son is in a wheelchair and can't sit up on his own so to YOU that means he's mentally retarted??? Get real!

And it's actually I SAW not I SEEN their family!
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• no you can't "honestly" rely on any eyewitness statements, no matter who gave them. it's the most scientifically inaccurate way of proving anything. however, if either a mentally sound person or not, even a child, could give a description of someone, it should be pursued and explored as a means to gain actual physical evidence. leads are leads, and it would be foolish to discount it just because of preconceived notions of the person's cognition. eyewitness accounts should never stand alone, and they should never be the basis for a conviction.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• All political correctness aside..... yes, I believe they can use the testimony. If a 5 year old saw a murder take place, they would use that testimony. So I think it's safe to assume they would accept testimony from someone with a 5 year old mindset. Personally, I don't think they lie like we do. I've noticed mentally handicapped people (for the most part) are very open and honest...they tell it like it is.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• To op: Im not sure. Its all over EVERY news station like every 5 minutes (of course!) so if you catch it , maybe it will be on again , im not sure. I dont care for the case as much , until i hear the side of the killers.

You don't care about the case until you hear the side of the killers....really??? Why would you need to hear their side of the story. They killed innocent people for no apparent reason and left some many kids behind.
    Anonymous

---
    I cant see taking a testimony of someone who is mentally handicapped and MIGHT not have the same mindset. But i do believe in taking it from a 5 y/o who doesnt , lol my son was able to tell me who came in our yard one night! haha.
    Anonymous