Fussy baby and hardly pooping

I have been breastfeeding him, but for the past week I have been formula feeding him only, because I've been on medication that I can't breast feed on. (I'll be breast feeding again tomorrow.) Anyway, for the past 3 days he's been extremely fussy, and only pooping twice a day. But he was doing just fine for the first few days of formula. I've been giving him Similac Advanced.

Any idea of what might be wrong, or what I could do to help it?

He's 4 weeks on Friday, by the way.

arianast00pid

Asked by arianast00pid at 4:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my dd got fussy with formula and her dr had us give her karo syrup( the dark one) mixed with some slightly warm water ( very small amount maybe a couple ounces and a tbs of syrup).. it worked miracles and is safe to use :-) hope this helps
    mfuentes24

Answer by mfuentes24 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Just no. If you are going to be breastfeeding tomorrow, wait. Breastmilk is a natural laxative, and will remedy this issue. Don't go messing up her system more trying to get the poop out. If you must, I'd do a suppository, because she doesn't need to digest it.

I don't know if you tried to check, but doctors are notoriously bad for not looking up medicine to see if you can breastfeed! A good resource for this is Hale's Medications and Mother's milk. You can call a LLL Leader, most have a copy or access to one. I was told I couldn't breastfeed on a med, and it is perfectly safe. Just for your knowledge! I'm sorry you were sick and needed drugs in the first place.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i would say it is the formula. I would also recommend lookign up the medication in Hales. Doctors are horrible for not knowing what is and is not good for breastfeeding. I had one try to give me three different things before I stood up and told him "look...I am not stopping nurising I just won't take it" and poof he gave me something safe.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• this is just a difference between formula and breastmilk

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Two poops a day is actually normal for formula fed babies. The formula you are using though is probably just hard on the tummy. Once you start BFing again your baby should be back to normal.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2009