why is my one year old throwing temper tantrums?

My daughter has recently become aggresive towards other children and gets easily irritated. She lashes out hitting, grabbing and scratching. When she does not get her way with mommy or daddy she will get aggresive with us as well. I am too embarrassed to take her to the mall play area and concerned to bring her around her 2 week old cousin. Is this normal, what can we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried time out? It's okay to start time out at this age.
    Anonymous

• I am sure you do this but when she hits, grab her hand and SAy NO NO HIT - try to make it short and effective - if she does it again, NO NO HIT and bring her to time out - I started my son with time outs at 16 months - but I made the mistake of putting the chair by us which was also by his toys so I just recently moved it because when he wasn't in time out, he was using it as a toy to put his cars on and I never thought about that til I talked to my mom about why he was wanting to put himself in there..lol! he's just recently started at 20 months with hitting and kicking us so I am trying it right there with you -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• pretty sure it's normal. kids this age start to understand what they want but not how to get it. Encourage your little ones to ask for thing and be consistant with your discipline. When lashing out, separate from the situation and allow time to cool down. Then ask calmly what she wanted and ask her to show you or use words if she can talk. toddlers get very furstared when they can't easily and quickly commuincate what they want. My daughter's the same way. And at two, she'll still take my finger and point but she's so much calmer than at one! :)
    Anonymous

• yea she is figuring out she is getting a reaction from mom if she throws a fit..and thats what she is doing..
    my son did the same thing..figured out he could get us to pay attention to him..if he threw a fit..but I stoped that pretty quick by make a chair all for him for a time out..if you have watched Super nanny..its like that stick him in it..for his one minute for his age..and if he gets up...put him back..he will find out quick that all he has to do is sit there for a bit..then tell him what he did wrong..when the minute is up..
    I know he is only one..but they comprahend a lot more than we think sometimes..
    good luck
    Gina
    Hunnybear121082

Answer by Hunnybear121082 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• how do you do a time out for a 16 mth old what can i put her what she can't get out of? I'm so frustrated my daughter has started screaming biting and staring at me blaintly before she does something she's not supposed to do . help
    EVER314

Answer by EVER314 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009