Contractions 1/2 hour apart...is labor close?

I'm 39 weeks preggo, 3 cm dilated, 70% effaced and having contractions about every 1/2 hour...I've already lost my mucus plug and have been feeling like I have to poop all day but whenever I try, I dont have to go...is labor close? I am so ready to have this baby...the contractions have been 1/2 hr apart for about 4 hours now.

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 5:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• just a quick few question is this your first baby?and how do you know you are that much dilated and that much affaced? anyways from what you've said you are pretty much in labor just not active labor, meaning not ready to push yet. From what ive experienced after your water break your contractions will became closer together and much more painful. anyways it might be better if you go to the hospital. Good luck
    Anonymous

• yes this is my first baby. and i know how far im dilated/effaced cuz I just had an appt yesterday and she stripped my membranes and told me how I was progressing...how much longer before I get to active labor do you think?? I cant wait to meet my little guy!!
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 5:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• When they get about 2 minutes apart then I'd say you should worry! lol. 30 minutes....... No worry.
    Anonymous

• Everyone is different so no one can really say how soon. Hopefully soon though! With my first baby (not that it makes any difference) my contractions became regular at about 10 minutes apart around 7 P.M. they stayed that way all night and got worse and closer together in the morning. I went to the hospital around 8 or 9 A.M. and got sent home. But I do think I was in active labor at that point. I went back in the afternoon and they kept me and I had my baby around 11:30 P.M.
    You can try walking to speed up labor, I don't know if it really helps but I've heard of a lot of people doing it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sounds like you are well on your way to meeting your little one to me...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 7:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My contractions are now 20 min apart :) and their staying pretty regular. But they arent very strong yet and dont hurt nearly as bad as people have told me they will. Hope things keep progressing and I make a trip to the hosp soon :)
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 7:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009