My 12YO son discovered his " middle" finger" and freely uses it,help!

Thor is severely brain damaged,he is a stroke survivor and talks using American Sign Language. We have tried ignoring,loss of privalages and time outs. I dont know if he understands what he is really doing but it is not appropriate behavior for any 12YO,IMO,Robin

ilovecoffee95

Asked by ilovecoffee95 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just keep telling him that it's bad & that he could get in a lot of trouble if he flips off the wrong person. When I taught 6th grade, I used to tell the kids "Pretty girls (or handsome boys) should NEVER use such ugly words." It worked!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I would definatly let him know how most people think it is disrespectful and that God for bid if any one of his friends parents saw him doing this he would def lose that friend. My son HAD a couple friends near where we used to live...ONE of them was 7 and cussing like a sailor. I told both of them that they were no longer allowed to hang out until he cleaned his mouth up. I'm sorry about this and hope that the problem gets recified soon. You know kids at that age..it's cool to do adult things...or so they think.
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 4:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Continue to do what you are doing. Make the punishments more severe each time. I think it's probably just a phase he's going through that will hopefully pass soon.
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Every time he uses it take something away for a set amount of time. Soon he'll get the idea and stop doing it. Good luck.
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 3:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2008