Why are people so judgemental about BF?

I’m so tired of people being so judgmental when it comes to breastfeeding!! When people ask for help stopping breastfeeding; people get the idea that we don’t know what’s best for them. Everyone knows breastfeeding is the best for babies we get it. Why cant you be happy that they at least tried? Weather it was for 2 weeks, 6months, or a year. Some times its better for the mom to stop. You don’t know the life they live. No matter what you feelings are, you don’t have to attack people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree 100%. If they never tried, you still dont know why they didnt. Even if they just flat out refuse because they think its gross, it's not of anyone else's business. I tried BFing and for reasons, i stopped and my daughter is just fine on formula. I plan to try BFing again when we have another. But there's nothing wrong with formula. At least the baby is being fed!!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If everyone knew as much as they claimed, more people would try to breastfeed and would continue to breastfeed longer. I don't really care what you do, but I get so tired of hearing excuse after excuse. I don't care why you're stopping, I don't care why you never started. If you don't feel guilty, then don't excuse yourself. And stop giving me the crap line that at least they're being fed. Wow, good for you. Taking care of basic needs is not something to be proud of, it's expected!

Between 2% and 4% of women truly can't breastfeed, so the majority of people are making up crap. I don't bother to read it, because I don't know, and don't care, who is telling the truth.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree - I have been put down multiple times - I tried for 2 months and even my mother said HOW Are you still trying? My son unlatched at least 40-50 times every feeding - i was relaxed and enjoyed it, in fact I cried for weeks after I had to stop because I wanted to so badly but he wasn't getting full, gettting constant gas from unlatching and even the formula's he never tolerated - it wasn't til he was fully on solid foods that eating wasn't an issue with him everytime. yet I still have gotten bashed for formula feeding... weird.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree. Yes breast is best but it's not the only option. I hate to see people fly off the handles about not trying or yadda yadda. It's not your child, it's not your business. You'd think anyone who didn't breastfeed for at least 6 months to a year was abusing their child and that's just not the case.
    Anonymous

• im just glad im not the only one. with my first she was in nicu for 5 weeks and when she was able to i started bf. but at four months i was so tired and could not do it anymore. i felt like a bad mother cause i could not do what was best for my daughter!! people on here keep telling me to keep going. i was bf every couple of hrs and pumping for almost an hr after every feeding. i had way to much milk for my baby. Now its been six months and that was my goal. and now i want to be done with it and everyones jumping on my case. they act like i told them i was not feeding my daughter again.
    Anonymous

• For some reason, this has become a holy war. I'm disgusted by zealots who would make someone feel bad for choosing not to breastfeed, and by the occasional poster who claims that breastfeeding is somehow gross.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• because we get sick and tired of moms being selfish. if you want to be selfish don't have kids.
    Anonymous

• So it's SELFISH to breastfeed for less than a specified amount of time? I'm asking this to anon 7:30pm. Your comment was really stupid. STUPID. Any amount of breastmilk is good for the baby. And I don't know this "we" is your referring to. Speak for yourself. And stop hiding behind anonymity. Be a real woman. Notice I didn't make MY comment anonymous??

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

********************

Why would a mom need to "excuse" herself for not breastfeeding? It's because of people like YOU. And why would you be upset because you feel that some moms make excuse after excuse for not breastfeeding? Seriously...(Cont below)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2009