I have a one month old baby and I think my milk just stopped coming in, what do I do to get it back I normally breast feed every 3 to 4 hours and pump once a day???

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NEVER ever take the amount that you pump out as a sign of how much milk you have in you. Pumps are a completely inaccurate measurement. Some women are great at pumping, others are hit or miss, for some, it doesn't work at all. If is possible that your baby is going through a growth spurt and just needs to eat more often now. Offer your breast to her every two hours for a few days, and then she'll go back to normal. When babies go through a growth spurt, they want to eat nonstop. As long as you feed on demand (and make sure that you drink enough water), you will be able to make what your baby needs.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Why do you think that your milk has stopped coming in?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Nurse, nurse, nurse! As often as you possibly can. You can also eat oatmeal or try mother's milk tea or fenugreek. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Also make sure that you are getting enough calories. You need to get extra calories to produce enough milk.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Beacuse my baby is screaming from being hungry and I tried to pump and got no milk.
    Heather10285

Answer by Heather10285 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• When he screams do you offer him the other breast? Also pumping is not a good indicator of your milk supply. You can feed then pump, the more stimuli the breast get the more it will produce. Is your baby going through a growth spurt, try to feed him for freguently, when my DS was about a month old I was feeding every 1 and a half to 2 hours.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Nurse as much as possible. Switch back and forth between both sides 10 min on one side, 10 min on the other, then repeat. www. kellymom.com has lots of good info on BFing. You can eat oatmeal, take fenugreek, alfalfa, there is also the option of getting a perscription of reglan but I would consider that a last option.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 7:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I come from a family that for some reason women in our famliy cannot produce milk for longer than a month to month and a half. There are things that can be done to help it last a little longer but if you have this condition once the milk is gone it is gone. I am on my 3rd kid. With my son I was unaware of this. With my daughter I took a pill my ob gave me to produce milk. This time I am talking with all the lactation consultants, WIC, and La Leche counselors for advice. They have all said taking the lactation medicine from doctor and to ask WIC or doctor for assistance getting a dual electronic pump, not the kind you can get at the store, WIC and doctor will know what is needed and it helps get your production up to par and keep it in for as long as possible. Its working for me this time so far.
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 7:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Pump output means nothing. And fussy babies mean nothing. This is prime growth spurt time. Just keep on nursing that baby, but on demand for now, and as long as you are changing 6-8 diapers (wet or poop) a day, then your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2009