Would you engage in a religious debate?

My grandma is a Christian in the truest sense of the word. She lives her life according to the bible and really is a shining example of the values of Christianity. I am an Agnostic and intend to raise my sons the same way. We will be taking a long vacation back home and I know she will invite me to church. I have no problem with politely declining. However, she will keep inviting. I have no interest in becoming Christian (been there, done that, felt nothing) but I want her to have more peace with that decision. I don't want her to 'worry' about me/my soul/etc. I've been thinking that I would go to bible study with her so that I can discuss my beliefs and why I agree/disagree with certain Christian teachings. I don't know if this would help our communication or hurt her more knowing I'm not ever going to be Christian. Should I go and debate (respectfully) or should I just keep declining? Christians...what do you think?

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't think a religious "debate" would be a good idea, however a polite discussion to "agree to disagree'' might be a better idea.
    Anonymous

• Everyday. ;D
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• keep declining! no point in going if you just want to debate the issue! You made your choice, she won't be happy with it ever and nothing will change that! Plus, debating isn't going to change anything, she will be more upset with you if you do!

My dad is the same way... i am still "christian" but not to his standards... funny how when the bible says "do not judge" people don't get it!!!
    Anonymous

• To be honest with you? No, I don't think it will help.

My mother gets very upset with some of my beliefs (she is more fundamental than I am). There's no changing what she believes. Even if I have good reasons and explain it out, if it's different than what she feels is true, she still dislikes what I believe. I think our moms are probably very similar and most likely won't ever be quite happy until they sure what we're believing is "the truth" KWIM?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Keep declining, but discuss this with her. Have the conversations, Just between the two of you. You go to Bible study they will gang up you. Peace for you and yours.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I dont think it would help. A discussion might be better and just a one-on-one type.

I personally would not do a religious debate. Mainly because I am not knowledgeable enough about the Bible and I know that. Plus, I know everyone has different opinions and beliefs and i respect them.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Ozarkgirl, I encourage you to do what your heart says to do. If you are already set in your ways and you feel that no one else will change your mind then you know what to do. However, if you are still curious then go, you never know what you might learn. Its ok as a unbeliever to go and to question. Hopefully the group your grandmother attends knows how to respond in love to you. Personally I would go just because I would want to honor my grandmother if she and I were in the same position and you and your grandmother. Its truly about honor not about whether or not you get saved. I do want you do know though. There are many times I do not feel anything from God but I kept going because of my strong faith in Him. You do not have to FEEL Him to believe, you just need to trust in Him that HE has your best interests in heart. You are His prized possesion for He created you with His loving hands. He hasn't forgotten you...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• and definitely awaits your return. Never say never , Ozarkgirl :-) Bless you and your vacation with your Grandmother.
    Shaneagle777

• To be honest I don't think it will help. And going and starting some big debate at Bible study would be disrepectful. I hate to say it but many Christians aren't ready for a debate and have come to learn about the Bible not your beliefs. Would it hurt to go to church with her? I'm not trying to convert you, but you could go, listen respectfully and maybe learn something.

I'm not Catholic but I went to Midnight mass with my MIL to honor her and it was very interesting. We've talked on several occasions about religion. I am protestant Christian she is Catholic. We agree on some things disagree on others but we learn from eachother.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree, oldermomof5. Be honest, be kind, and do it privately.
    Bible Study is not the time or place for that conversation, IMO.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 8:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009