Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bee stings

My 5 yr old got stung today. The worst part was that we are all in the pool when it happened and I was struggling trying to get everyone out of the pool to tend to her. Thankfully she's not allergic. I have never dealt with a bee sting before. We removed the stinger, put ice on it, I gave her a motrin, and treated the area with apple cider vinegar. She seems fine now. But I'm wondering what everyone else does, or would have done.

Answer Question
 
rosesNclovers

Asked by rosesNclovers at 6:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Health

Level 8 (264 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You did very well! I am impressed. Getting everyone out of the water, removing the stinger, the ice and the vinegar. I have also heard of using a baking soda paste, and a sting control "stick" that I bought had ammonia.
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 6:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

  • from: http://www.nasdonline.org/docs/d000701-d000800/d000800/d000800.html

    What to Do if a Person is Stung

    1. Have someone stay with the victim to be sure that they do not have an allergic reaction.
    2. Wash the site with soap and water.
    3. The stinger can be removed using a 4x4-inch gauze wiped over the area or by scraping a fingernail over the area. Never squeeze the stinger or use tweezers. It will cause more venom to go into the skin and injure the muscle.
    4. Apply ice to reduce the swelling.
    5. Do not scratch the sting. This will cause the site to swell and itch more, and increase the chance of infection.
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 6:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

  • Sorry for the multiple answers

    I saw on another site that pulling the stinger out is better, and that the fastest removal possible is best. I also am not seeing anything about vinegar or baking soda, but that benedryl can be given.
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 6:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

  • That is all you can do. I just get the stinger out, ice it and give Benedryl if there is any itching. Watch for signs of allergy though. I didn't show signs until the next day and I ended up with blood poisioning.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

  • Well I guess there's nothing else I could've done. Bmat, I saw that too, that its more important to get the stinger out fast as possible. The vinegar was supposed to draw out any remaining venom. Now you can't even tell where she was stung.
    rosesNclovers

    Answer by rosesNclovers at 7:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.