How?

How do u get a 2 year old to drink water? All she ever has is 100% Juicey Juice and Milk. We constantly switch one or the other with a cup of water but she would rather go thursty then drink it. She will drink flavored water only because she thinks its juice but that can get pretty pricey after awhile. What should I do?

belljaz

Asked by belljaz at 6:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Find a water bottle that she really likes and give her only water in it. One with a top that she likes or with a favorite character on it, even let her pick it out. Give that a try.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We tried that but ones she tasted it and found out it was water she threw it and threw a tantrum.
    belljaz

Answer by belljaz at 6:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well that's the only suggestion I have. It worked for my oldest son and after going through him only wanting chocolate milk (which he got at grandma's house) we didn't offer anything but water up to age 1 then only water and milk after that for my other 2. My 2 1/2 year old gets juice sometimes now but he prefers water. I hope somebody has a suggestion that will help you!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• keep consistently offering it.

do you drink water? if she sees you drinking water maybe she'll mirror you.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• when she throws the tantrum..do you just give in and give her the juice or milk..
    ..she knows that if she throws a fit over water she will get her way..and you will give her the drink of her choice

so one day only offer her the ammount of juice and milk she is sopposed to have then give water rest of the day..she will drink it..after she figures out..your not gonna give her her way..
    good luck
    Hunnybear121082

Answer by Hunnybear121082 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I had a similar problem with my first. What I ended up doing was watering down his juice. This way he was getting the water he desperately needed. Over time, I increased the amount of water and decreased the juice. At the very end I was adding a splash of juice to his lg sippy cup. He now asks for water. Hope this helps!
    sweetboys4me

Answer by sweetboys4me at 8:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• sweetboysforme suggested exactly what I was going to. I myself hate plain water but I will drink it with lots of ice and just a pinch of like orange juice or something to give it a light flavor. Once we've had the sweet stuff we never want to go back LOL
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009