Do you "honor your mother and father"? For everyone : )

I understand that this concept of "honoring your mother and father" is something that transcends many beliefs. I was thinking about this. Please share your own beliefs too.
Were they people you could respect?
Do you feel like you have lived a life that honors your parents?
Do you honor them?
Do you share their beliefs?
Do they approve/disapprove of you?
How does that affect you emotionally?
Did you have a good/bad relationship with them?
Do you feel like they understand you?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 6:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN BLESSED IN MY LIFE, AND AS FAR AS MY PARENTS I COULD NOT HAVE ASKED FOR BETTER ONES. THE MEMORY OF MY FATHER IS VERY MUCH ALIVE, , FOR I WAS FORTUNATE TO HAVE HAD HIM. MY MOTHER GOD BLESS HER SOUL IS STILL LIVING AND GIVING ME JOY. THEY WERE HONEST HARD WORKING PEOPLE THAT GAVE ME A CHANCE FOR A BETTER LIFE. I DO HONOR THEM TO THIS DAY, I DO SHARED THEIR BELEIFS AND THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO TO EARN THEIR DISSAPROVEMENT. MY EMOTIONAL STABILITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN GREAT. I DID HAVE A GREAT RELATIONSHIP WITH MY DAD AND I STILL HAVE AN AWESOME ONE WITH MY MOM. YES THEY BOTH FULLY LOVED AND UNDERSTOOD ME.

Answer by older at 7:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Were they people you could respect? -- Yes, of course at the time. But when I look back I realize that my mom and dad made a few mistakes raising me. They were the best parents ever, but their problems with alcohol and drugs are things I would never do with my children in my life.
    Do you feel like you have lived a life that honors your parents? -- I think I live a life that honors my parents.
    Do you honor them? -- Yes, but my mom and I are really close and I treat her like a friend, sometimes forgeting to show her the respect she deserves when I am talking to her.
    Do you share their beliefs? -- They became Christians around the same time I did.
    Do they approve/disapprove of you? -- They approve of me.
    How does that affect you emotionally? -- It makes me happy. I love them so much.
    Did you have a good/bad relationship with them? -- good
    Do you feel like they understand you? -- most of the time : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Were they people you could respect?>>> for the most part they were good parents, but I was also raised by my grand parents as well.
    Do you feel like you have lived a life that honors your parents?>>> yes and no.. I did well in some things.. and wasn't such a great kid in other things.
    Do you honor them?>>> not with everything, no, I was a kid. lol. and kids make mistakes... but I learned from them, and that was just how I was (had to learn the hard way, as a kid).
    Do you share their beliefs?>>> for a while yes, but now we all have matured, and changed our beliefs since I was a kid.
    Do they approve/disapprove of you?>>> depends on the topic, lol.
    How does that affect you emotionally?>>> positively, because I can't blame them for the things I did.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Did you have a good/bad relationship with them?>>> I always had a good relationship with my father... my mother and I fought a lot for a few years, until I moved out.. now we are pretty tight.
    Do you feel like they understand you?>>> yes and no. They understand I am my own person. We don't share all the same views, so it's impossible to understand eachother completely. But we get along well enough now :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Were they people you could respect? Yes, they are
    Do you feel like you have lived a life that honors your parents? Have I always? No.
    Do you honor them? Yes. I do.
    Do you share their beliefs? Some of our beliefs are very similar. Not all.
    Do they approve/disapprove of you? They disapprove of my more liberal views.
    How does that affect you emotionally? It makes me feel like they don't think I'm smart or mature enough to come to my own conclusions.
    Did you have a good/bad relationship with them? Very good.
    Do you feel like they understand you? For the most part, yes, they do. There are mistakes I made as a teenager that I'm too embarassed to talk to them about. In that way, I don't feel they understand me.

Good question!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• O.K. here goes:
    Were they people you could respect? Yes, agree with always no
    Do you feel like you have lived a life that honors your parents? I hope so, at least in my charactor.
    Do you honor them? Well my dad passed 4 years ago but my mom is still a big part of my life
    Do you share their beliefs? Some yes some no. My parents didn't come to faith until about 3 years before my dad passed. My mom still has some odd beliefs, not just religiously but in other areas that I don't understand much less agree on.
    Do they approve/disapprove of you? You know I didn't think they did until about 2 years before my dad passed. He was never one to express love or approval before then, but God did huge work in his life and he became a gentle, loving father and husband.
    How does that affect you emotionally? now things are great.
    Did you have a good/bad relationship with them? good
    Do you feel like they understand you? mostly
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Honor my father? The man who left my pregnant mother and ran off and married her best friend? The man who didn't bother to see me until I was 18 years old? The man who drank himself to death at the age of 50? No... there is no honor there.

As for my mother, I love her, but I do not honor or respect her actions, behavior, abuse or lack of parenting skills.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Were they people you could respect? Yes, most of the time.
    Do you feel like you have lived a life that honors your parents? Mostly, Im sure there have been a few times I didnt do so hot at it in other peoples eyes.
    Do you honor them? I try
    Do you share their beliefs? Not anymore
    Do they approve/disapprove of you? Both. There are things they approve of and stuff they dont(mainly in the religious area)
    How does that affect you emotionally? Yo-yo feeling but Ive had to learn that honoring doesnt always mean doing everything they tell you to do or living for them.
    Did you have a good/bad relationship with them? I have a so-so relationship with my father. He chose his wife over his daughters but we are working on our relationship. My mother and I are just starting to talk to each other again. Its awkward but liveable.
    Do you feel like they understand you? Nope. Never have understood me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My parents are both gone. As I honor my ancestors I honor them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Were they people you could respect?-- of course
    Do you feel like you have lived a life that honors your parents? -- to my families standards yes lol Do you honor them? -- sure..i did let them move in with my husband and i
    Do you share their beliefs? -- not my mom, shes a catholic..but my dads an atheist. (im a satanist)
    Do they approve/disapprove of you? -- approve now
    How does that affect you emotionally? -- doesn't matter either way
    Did you have a good/bad relationship with them? -- my moms my best friend, my dads and mine sucked ass for ever but its now getting better
    Do you feel like they understand you?-- sure
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009